Hello Everyone!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

oldtiger70

I am a retired Entomologist, who has raised Cattleyas, Phals. Brass., Paph.,and Cym. I have one Phrag. coming next week Stairway To Heaven. Here in Alabama we are just now entering the time we can take our orchids outside and am I glad. My Paphs and phals reside inside all year long in a east window under two sets of shoplights. Looking forward to many stimulating discussions on this site. Happy St. Pats. and excellent flowering for all.

howdy.
an entomologist? yippee!
if i may be so bold, are you more likely to use beneficial insects for pest control or pesticides?
i use beneficials in the conservatory where i work. research stuff has to be sprayed so that the chance of inappropriate pollination of plants is reduced...

Benefical insects I use outside, inside I use natural products the only true chemicals I use are fungicides for rot.

Welcome, oldtiger70!

Of course, you are making those of us who live "up North" jealous since you can now take your orchids outside. It's another 2 months for me!

Welcome!
I have a wall devoted to butterflies in my room. (I think I have the wierdest room of all people!) And I was fascinated by bugs as a kid...

Somewhere I have a picture of a Blue Morphus I took in Bolivia that had a wing span of close to 12 inches, I will have to look it up. By the way it is estimated there are over 2.5 million species of insects. An insect taxonomist I knew went to the Amazon put up a plain white sheet and focused lights on it, the insects he collected in several nights, he spend a lifetime identifying the new species he collected.

And there are still undiscovered species;) I would love to see that Blue Morphus!

The most ironic thing is that my brother is scared of all bugs now, and this fear is really bad... so weird because he used to touch them when he was young. I remember we had a pet larvae of a moth/butterfly, grasshoppers, crickets, and spiders. I really do remember him holding the caterpillar though. I know I was more interested than him, but still.

Yes, welcome!

I would love to see a photo of the Blue Morphus. I am also fascinated with Luna Moths. I've only seen one in my life and it was here in Maine, and in the daytime at that.

Latest posts

Back