Hello, also from the UK

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakkai

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I can see some familiar names here - and some not familiar names. Both are great, as it means the chance to make new friends!

I was born and raised in the US (Pittsburgh), but moved to the UK in 2000. We lived in Southern India (Bangalore) for two years (2004/2005), but we're now back in the UK, and I've been working to rebuild my orchid collection again.

I started out with Pleurothallids mainly because they were so easy to grow here. Now my collection has morphed - without intent, really - to be nearly half slipper orchids of one sort or another: Paphs, Phrags, and native Cyps. It is difficult living within 10 minutes of a good Paph nursery without accumulating lots of Paphs!

My other current love is Neofinetia. (And yes, I have Habenaria radiata, but they are new this year, so I have yet to flower them....) In fact, that is how I came across this forum - loads of good Neofinetia info here!

Looking forward to 'meeting' everyone here!

Ask and you shall receive...

Most of the Paphiopedilums I have are still seedlings, so I don't have lots in flower yet... But these ones have flowered:

(Left to Right)

Paphiopedilum appletonianum var hainanense (Paph. hainanense 'Lilac Mist' x Paph. hainanense 'Dancer') first flowering.
Unknown from the garden centre...
Paphiopedilum (White Legacy x St. Ouen's Bay) first flowering.

Attachments

• Paph_apple_open1.jpg
    Paph_apple_open1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Paph_NOID_PinkGreen.jpg
    Paph_NOID_PinkGreen.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Paph_Hybrid_White.jpg
    Paph_Hybrid_White.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! Candice - I love the graphic in your sig - wonderful!!

Tom, the nursery is Ratcliffe Orchids. Hard to resist their seedling sales! I think I've got the potential for some really nice plants... just need to patience to bring them on to flower.

Here's a partial list of the orchids I grow (note these are the names as on the tag, some may no longer be correct due to changes in taxonomy):

Cypripedioideae:
(Species:)
Cypripedium calceolus
Paphiopedilum barbigerum ('Tom Thumb' x 'Select')
Paphiopedilum fairrieanum ('Will Scarlet' x '#1')
Paphiopedilum hainanense ('Lilac Mist' x 'Dancer')
Paphiopedilum venustum forma album ('Tessara' x 'Jade')
Phragmipedium pearcei 'Eagle'

(Hybrids:)
Paphiopedilum Curtia (dayanum 'Owslebury' x curtsii 'Winchester')
Paphiopedilum Dellaina (P. delenatii x P. chamberlainianum)
Paphiopedilum Fanaticum (micranthum 'Wild Rose' x malipoense 'Tracery')
Paphiopedilum Golddollar (primulinum x armeniacum var. markii album)
Paphiopedilum Iantha Stage (sukhakulli 'Freckles' x rothschildianum 'Misselthrush')
Paphiopedilum Lynleigh Koopowitz (delenatii 'Sandy' x malipoense 'Stuart')
Paphiopedilum Moustache (St Swithin 'Goldglow' x phillippinense 'Snowy')
Paphiopedilum St Swithin (P. phillippinense 'Select' x P. rothschildianum 'Mont Millais')
Paphiopedilum Susan Booth (rothschildiamum 'Whitethroat' x gardnerii)
Phragmipedium Saint Peters 'Cornish Cream' (Eric Young x longifolium)
Phragmipedium Silver Rose (St Ouen (using besseae var. flavum) x Hanne Popow 'Isle of Jersey')

(Unnamed Paph crosses:)
Paphiopedilum (Armeni White 'Tinto' x S. Gratrix 'Dazzler')
Paphiopedilum (purpurescens 'Pinkedge' x charlesworthii 'Wubben')
Paphiopedilum (purpurescens x venustum var. pardinum)
Paphiopedilum (Raisin Jack 'Nice One' x argus 'Hilsea')
Paphiopedilum (S. Gratrix 'Kerry' x delenatii 'Sandy')
Paphiopedilum (White Legacy x St. Ouen's Bay)

Welcome from Pretoria, South Africa.
Paul Phillips is a good friend. Join him when he is coming to the paph symposium in July.

OMG you live 10 minutes away from Ratcliffe Orchids :drool:

That is sooo awesome! I really need to head down there some day, they have some great plants on their plant lists.

Living 10 mins from Ratcliffe would bankrupt me. I'm kinda glad I'm up North :rollhappy:

Lenka, Tom, It is just a good thing that they are not open, except by appointment! So, its only dangerous when they send out their lists. Of course, when they have open days, I can always find something interesting to come home with. :D

halloo shakai i know you from the other forum site
you will be of great value and knowledge to this wonderfull slippertalk site
keep showing us all those wonderfull pictures

Welcome from Greece!!!!! I have just been to Bangalore once for approximatelly 1-2 hours... the city is alive and unusual to my eyes...... :D

Thanks for all of the additional welcomes!

Living in Bangalore was a great experience. I've been lucky to be able to travel quite a lot, but it really isn't until you live somewhere and have to arrange things like paying bills, getting a bank account, etc. - daily living stuff - in a different country (especially where you do not speak the language) that you really begin to appreciate all of the nuances of a place.

Back