Hello All

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilbeck

Reaction score
My first orchid, a lurid purple paph, purchased two years ago after reading "The Orchid Thief," has finally sent up a new bloom spike. Thus encouraged, I started looking for more information about slipper orchids, et voila, here I am. I do like the slipper orchids best and now have three others, though I am sure I have not been infected with orchid fever. Yet.

Wilson

Welcome Wilson. You've come to the right place. What are the three others?? :poke:

Make sure to check out the pictures section. Polyanthas! :drool:

Hello Marco and Heather,

Thanks for the greetings. My other three Paphs are:

Paph. Hsinying Cherry x Paph. Hsinying Maru “Ching Hua”
Paph. maudiae ‘Silverado’ x Paph. lawranceanum
Paph. delanatii x Paph. lienianum

I presume they are unnamed. I have no idea about the lineage of my orchid #1. I would post an image of it if I ever learn how.

Wilson

Welcome to the forum! If nobody has told you yet, owning a Phragmipedium besseae is part of the membership requirement here. I suggest you buy one immediately. :)

As for posting photographs, you can see a tutorial at the top of any of the photograph forums that tells you everything you need to know. If you have any questions, just ask Heather. She knows all.

The Purple Paph

Hello Phrag,

Phragmipedium besseae, eh? I'll get on that right away. I will try the Image Shack route to post a photo of the original (in my collection) Paph. I purchased it from a florist named Asrai Gardens on North Avenue in Chicago and the only label it had indicated it was from Salinas Orchids. If anyone can identify it, I would be most appreciative. Thanks.

wilson

Holy cow! I just realized you are from Columbia, MO!

I am from southwest Missouri. I am just in Phoenix temporarily. My wife and I are coming home in October and I am excited.

It looks like Image Shack didn't work, so here's an attachment:

Attachments

• Purple Paph.jpg
    Purple Paph.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 33
That is indeed a very dark pouch, and big round dorsal. Pretty impressive, actually :)

Matthew Gore

Thanks for the nice comments on the Purple Paph. Peter, is it a fairrienum cross as you mention? It apparently originated at Salinas Orchids and was not identified further when I bought it. Phrag, on further review, I think you are right-on that I should buy a Phragmipedium besseae. Now, where and when to do it?

Wilson

Latest posts

Back