Heating pads for summer blooming Phalaenopsis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anca86

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Do you use heating pads for summer blooming Phalaenopsis during winter? In winter, I have around 19 degrees Celsius during the day and about 13 14 degrees Celsius during the night.

LE: I grow my Phalaenopsis in a mix of bark and perlite and some in sphagnum moss. I have a mix o speciosa, tetraspis, equestris, deliciosa.

Thanks
Anca

Last edited:
I used seedling heat mats last winter over night with my warm growing Phals. The pads clicked on when temperatures dropped below 60F. I felt that it made a significant difference in their health over the winter. My daytime temperatures are higher than yours at about 75F/24C. But my night time winter temps are similar. I am not sure how impactful daytime temperatures at.

What kind of Phals are you growing?

How are you growing your Phals? Supposedly a disadvantage of s/h is the evaporative cooling of the pot and roots, which can be problematic in the winter. So a heat pad would be recommended.
It's only a disadvantage if you are using the technique for warm-to-hot growers and your growing conditions include insufficient humidity and too low of a temperature. I never had an issue with hot-growing phals in my PA greenhouse, but my NC windowsills are a different matter. The slippers are all happy...

If you grow in warmer conditions and want to grow cooler-liking plants, it's an advantage.

I use heating pads for all my orchids here on the coast of the PNW. Air temps go down to 60, but I like to keep the roots warm. I suspect it also helps evaporation/transpiration in my semi-hydroponic media.

This is an interesting post. I grow many Phals. in bark mix, some in sphag. and some
mounted. My temps. dropped to 40F last winter for several hours and my Phals. didn't
miss a beat. As Ray wrote, my humidity is quite high and a lot of air movement.

This is an interesting post. I grow many Phals. in bark mix, some in sphag. and some
mounted. My temps. dropped to 40F last winter for several hours and my Phals. didn't
miss a beat. As Ray wrote, my humidity is quite high and a lot of air movement.
What brand do you use?

I have used the relatively inexpensive, low-wattage (13w) ones from Hydrofarm intended for germinating seeds. Amazon has similar ones (MET brand, from “Seedfactor”) for $8.99 for a 10” x 20” one that fits in a standard nursery tray.

Here we're using heating mats on top of foam board, and underneath humidity trays for window culture.
In our situation a timer helps keep everything 60 to 65 degrees at night and 80 in the day, humidity 50% in the day and 60+ at night.
So far, no need for a thermostat.

RHS (Roof Heating Systems) in Massachusetts.
They have standard lengths on Amazon, and get custom lengths out same day, no extra charge and free shipping!
Very happy with the product.

Latest posts

Back