Heads Up

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Candace, just checked your website and then I clicked on the little blurb about you. Good Lord you're pretty. You sure when they contact you that they aren't trying to get a date or something and trying to get their leg in the door by asking for a cutting or a division of a plant?

I didn't reply to the last two.

And kentuckiense, I'm not a proponent of what's going on right now. I'm for less government regulation and more education and personal responsibility. Criminals are criminals and they're going to find a way around this sooner or later. Fortunately, the nurseries like Gore Conservatory (sp?) will still be able to get their hands on plant material for import and then we can buy from them ;)

Aw, you're sweet and thank you for the compliment. I can promise you they're all about the orchids. Us addicted orchid growers can be very focused on our obsessions!

My eyes glazed over trying to read the CITES legalese, but it all boils down to one issue, for US growers only. App. 1 orchids have always been legal, in flask, anywhere in the world except the US. By USFW definitions, the flasked App. I plants are only legal IF the parents were legal. There was no problem with P. gigantifolium or Ph. kovachii, as they were legally produced by their originating countries...I'd expect P. thaianum to quickly join this list. That does pose a problem for those paphs of Vietnamese origin, since Vietnam never clearly signed on to CITES, not to mention that most of the flasked paphs were done outside of Vietnam. Since the parents illegally left Vietnam, their progeny is just as illegal in the eyes of USFW. If this is still the policy, then there is no change. However, any relaxing of the "fruit of the poisoned tree" concept could mean that we will finally be able to get all those Vietnamese paphs legally and above board...and that is what needs to be explained to us. Anybody in touch with Roddy Gabel? He is the USFW maven on the subject. Take care, Eric

Incredibly, I received those two PMs today after I started this thread. What timing.

I don't want any one of us hurt. My one friend has little kids and a wife who has some serious on going health issues that they struggle to deal with as it is. That $7,500 probably meant a second mortgage on their home... with little kids in the household. He had to take a plea all because of how the sender labeled the shipment.

And kentuckiense, you are welcome to my password since you're an Admin. Sorry, I didn't know that. I've nothing in my personal messages that I would feel uncomfortable letting anyone read... well... except NYEric who accused me of being addicted... wouldn't want HIM seeing me trying to buy another plant from another member what with HIM calling me addicted and all in another thread. Anyway, Heather told me how to forward so I know how to do that and you're welcome to a forward of either pm complete with the personally identifiable information of the senders.

Forgot to mention that I had another private message before these two asking for whole flower heads of Cypripedium spp. claiming he/she was "collecting data on how long the polinator cells will reamin vital".

1) It is very sad that your friend suffered
2 I thought of the same thing, about Zach 's forum name. That is probably why peoples asking him for the orchids.
3) I did not know that cypripedium are so popular? In fact a few months ago,I thought someone on the forum was giving away seedlings for the price of postage to peoples to try their hand on (come to think of it, I may have even respond to the offer because my brother & sister in law asking me whether they can grow cyp in New Jersey. I don't think I receive any reply for my post. maybe the person run out of seedlings)

Candace, just checked your website and then I clicked on the little blurb about you. Good Lord you're pretty. You sure when they contact you that they aren't trying to get a date or something and trying to get their leg in the door by asking for a cutting or a division of a plant?

I didn't reply to the last two.

And kentuckiense, I'm not a proponent of what's going on right now. I'm for less government regulation and more education and personal responsibility. Criminals are criminals and they're going to find a way around this sooner or later. Fortunately, the nurseries like Gore Conservatory (sp?) will still be able to get their hands on plant material for import and then we can buy from them ;)

Lauren, I agree. Candace is a bit of a hottie, but I wouldnt call them criminals..... just creative. :)

Yes Hien, it was horrible for them. They barely make ends meet as it is and to get tripped up by some person on the other end mislabeling a box to avoid permits or the costs of having the material fumigated or the cost of a phyto in favor of trying to slip the material in by mislabeling the contents was unconscionable IMHO particularly when the additional fee for a phyto as well as the costs of inspection were paid up front along with the cost of the plant and the shipping and handling.

Who is Zach please?

Yes bwester, I saw her photo and sort of thought to myself- Hmm, why would people who can see she must run a nursery and sell plants to make a living really be contacting her to ask for cuttings and divisions. Hmm, maybe I should post my photo... as a deterrent to these types of inquiries.

Ok, I'm starting to get it now. So many Erics and Rons and Lances that it gets hard trying to keep every one straight and then you all go and throw me for a loop by tossing in real first names just when I'm starting to figure out who everyone is!

I'm still working on matching real names to screen names. It takes some time to get it down.

Most of the people who contact me do offer to pay me or trade, but I'm so not good with the whole money thing. I prefer to trade with forum members since any money would probably just go back into plants anyway.

Now you've lost me. You've got that many plants in that greenhouse and you aren't a nursery? If that's a hobby why is NYEric calling ME addicted?

I'm not good with money either so don't feel bad.

Now you've lost me. You've got that many plants in that greenhouse and you aren't a nursery? If that's a hobby why is NYEric calling ME addicted?

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:
we all have different levels to our addiction!

Poor Ramon :confused: - we do sometimes get off track don't we!

I'm sorry Blake is grumpy this morning, I'm just sitting back chuckling on all that took place in the last 15 hours!

Yeah, not a nursery and will be leaving in an hour to pick up the beginnings of my second larger greenhouse. I've got some serious problems, I tell you. But, on a lighter note if you read about me on my website, my orchids get me through some tough days. Orchids can be a calming relaxation to a stressful, frusterating day. At this point, I can't joke that it's cheaper than therapy, but it's cheaper than doing heroin!

Ouch Candace, that sucks.

I'm a little stressed over here too. I downed my 4 year old cedar and glass greenhouse on gravel and started anew a few weeks ago. I'm going with an aluminum framed poly greenhouse. The cedar was getting me sick and the glass definitely wasn't the best choice although it looked really nice. They excavated the site then poured a new concrete pad complete with footers and floor drains for me recently, came out and added a new electrical panel to the house, and are getting ready to trench for a gas line so I can use the waste oil furnace as a back up. I don't think we'll be able to trench down below the frost line for water this season but that will be taken care of sooner or later as opposed to the garden hose I had hooked up to the sink before that had to be blown out in winter. I've got plants everywhere throughout the house and scattered everwhere outside and everything is a mess. I'm thinking I'm not exactly experiencing that calming relaxing high that you're talking about and looks as if soon you won't be experiencing it either if you're going for greenhouse #2. What with the costs of greenhouses these days, heroin just might have been cheaper for me.

Latest posts

Back