Haynaldianum 'Ron' x Self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I bought this plant as a small seedling about three years ago and it is finally in bloom.
it has been grown under T8 and was taken out of the light set up once the spike grew tall enough.
I was hoping for all three flowers to open but the first flower is about to fall off. Oh, well...

There is a large new growth next to the current growth, so it is a good grower. I like the large flowers on the tall (60cm) inflorescence since it makes for a nice display in the room, but I find the color rather drab on this particular plant. I was hoping for something darker with purple being more prominent.
Does anyone know what the color on the Ron clone was like? I know it had a size from what I read about. These flowers are 13.5cm wide.

AxOIAg1l.jpg

Umf9qS9l.jpg

I have the same cross bought as a medium plant about 18 months ago. I got it from Elite Orchids, who posts on here from time to time, so maybe he can weigh in on what 'Ron' looks like - all I could find referenced its size! Mine is finally throwing a new start up so perhaps I may get a flower next year.

I have the same cross bought as a medium plant about 18 months ago. I got it from Elite Orchids, who posts on here from time to time, so maybe he can weigh in on what 'Ron' looks like - all I could find referenced its size! Mine is finally throwing a new start up so perhaps I may get a flower next year.

Would be interesting to see how yours will look in bloom.

Its a very 'purple free' haynaldianum if the colour is correct on your photo. Ive not seen one like this before.

I have seen a few examples of such a lightly colored drab before, but I'd much rather have a dark colored one. So I will buy one bred for dark colors. This one gotta go! hahaha

I wonder if there is a recessive albinistic gene hidden here that if selfed, will produce even lighter almost albinistic or viridescent flowers?
Well, that would make a good science project, but since this is already a selfing of a plant whose identity I have no idea about, I would not be interested in doing that. Even if I did, I would need a greenhouse space to raise such large plants in big numbers to see the results and draw any meaningful conclusion. So,,,it will stay mystery, I guess.

I'm not too keen on keeping this one. I would gladly give it to you, but sending such a large sized plant would cost more than I would like to pay. So, I am going to locally discard it. :)

I would not mind paying shipping. However, I do think I can afford the growing space:(. I have already gotten myself into multi-floral trouble with the ones i have. Hopefully, you will find a good home for it.

Latest posts

Back