Have you seen something like this on the leaves?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brabantia, you can thank Ray for the procedure since mine is inspired from the one on his website:

http://firstrays.com/free-information/pests-ailments/home-remedies/
I basically use extract with rubbing alcohol, but at the end I add water to the remaining liquid (50 % water for 50 % extract). I prefer doing this since I've found isopropyl alcohol to be too much dessicant for many plants.

I read that ethanol penetrates tissues and therefore do damages to plants.

Yes Mancozeb and cinnamon. No, the marks do not go away but each new leaf had less and less until they came out clean. Kind of strange!

They look similar. Did those mottling eventually develop darker centers on them??

Glad to hear things are under control.
I heard mancozeb is not that scary but it's all relative, right?
I'm not even sure if I could get it in a small package, though.

They look similar. Did those mottling eventually develop darker centers on them??

Glad to hear things are under control.
I heard mancozeb is not that scary but it's all relative, right?
I'm not even sure if I could get it in a small package, though.

No darker centers. You can get mancozeb on ebay here in small packets. Maybe they will send to you?

I had the same thing on a couple of leaves of a Phrag caudatum last year.
Most of the yellow blotches didn't form dark lesions. At first I thought it was a deficiency but it's not. It wasn't any kind of pest either. That leaves a fungus of some kind.
Check out Phyllosticta too!
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ved=0ahUKEwie6pbV3d3OAhUGjJQKHfmqDjUQ_AUICCgB

Thanks for the link.
Yes, I'm familiar with this disease. Pretty much all the vandas in botanical garden here have this on them. Very unsightly! It's possible the spores travelled home with me. lol
Since the symptoms vary depending on the genus, I have no idea how this disease manifest itself on paphiopedilums.

Just because you grow inside does not mean you have to apply anything inside. Take it outside and spray it.
The SOLE way to prevent fungal and bug infection is prophylactic spraying on a regular basis.

I'll think about it.
One bad memory comes to mind, though.

Once, I was spraying a couple of plants outside.
I was making sure the wind direction is in a way that I won't get showered by the spray.
Well, a sudden change of wind at the moment of spraying had it all over my hands and face. I dropped everything and ran back inside and took a very loooong shower. lol

Uhhhhh.... Ozpaph.... there are fungicides out there that when combusted turn into cyanide. To make a statement like "fungicides aren't that toxic" is both ill-informed and irresponsible!
I am not sure about Aus. but most every state in the union has a permit course (ours is through the WA state dept. of agriculture for instance) one has to take to apply pesticides/fungicides, and they offer a study guide for said test. I cannot suggest enough that every single person who keeps more then 2 plants get the book and study it (not necessary to take the test unless you are working in the hort field). You will learn a lot (like for instance fungicides CAN be lethal!) and have a new found respect for our earth and the f*$%ed up **** man creates and dumps back into said earth!

Knowledge is power.
Cheers
JAB

I repeat Cleary's 3336 is not a spray. It is a drench and
free if you want some.

Thank you, I'll give it a thought.

I'd like to read about their safety. In case the solution land on my skin or eveys and they will deteriorate into dark foamy mush in five minutes kind of stuff. jk! :D
You know what I mean. I'm a bit crazy that way, but safety rules for me! :p

I just had a looooong last look at my Louise Jernigan and threw it away in the garbage. It just looked too horrible and I also bought some more plants that are on their way, and I want to buy new flask now. hahahaha

I gave one plant away to Eric as part of bartering for DB.
Thank you, again, Eric!!

Lately, I'm dealing with more spotting diseases than I've even had. This has never happened before.
I took one bulb out of four on each and every tier. hopefully this will help.

I might need to move more toward leuchochilum, niveum, thaianum and other warmer growing plants. rather stressed and burned out is how I feel.

On the flip side, I am excited about Wössner China Moon and Rolfei in low sheath among other things. Please don't be ugly! hahaha

Having totally clean leaves is near impossible. They are living organisms...some scarring over time is normal.

It is possible. Vast majority of my plants are spotless.
I'm not worried about mechanical damage, but potential diseases freak me out. it takes the fun of the hobby out for me.

Latest posts

Back