Have you seen something like this on the leaves?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This is Paphiopedilum Louis Jernigan (roth x Wellesleyanum).

I had two medium sized seedlings about two years ago, and they have been growing very very well so far.

As I was examining the underside of the leaves today, I noticed something very disturbing on one of the plants.
Of 12 leaves, all the leaves except for the very bottom two leaves and the newest leaf on top, show this symptom.

There are lots of these lighter greenish yellowish regions all over the leaves, but only visible from the underside.
The advanced cases have orange brown mark at the center as seen on the second picture.
By the way, those big dark marks are mechanical damage caused by me last year. :p

The other seedling is free of this symptom.

In the third picture, the one with two growths on the right side is the one with this strange marks.

The last photo is from the internet and something I'm looking forward to, although I know the chance of having that is quite low here, not to mention see this thing ever even flower.

xWd6pAml.jpg

u6VpGkJl.jpg

IkzBmkal.jpg

LWK8Jo3l.jpg

I am interested to know what they are. I have similar spots on my Phrag China Dragon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. These are not mite damage.

By the way, these are not the best pictures, but on my screen, I can see pretty well.
Do you see those mottling all over the leaf in the first picture??
About three of them have darker center.

Then, the second photo shows lots of them with the dark center.

I'm thinking rust disease, which is fungal I believe?
Or virus? I remember seeing oncidium intergeneric with certain virus looking similar.
Whatever it is, it is just horrifying to me.
I hate problems!

Sorry, just phone camera here. lol

Well, there aren't much to see actually.
There are no indentation. Just smooth fiat surface with these mottling happening inside the leaves but only on the underside.
Then when they get older, these orange brown marks set in.
Literally like a rust.

Sort of like the Gloria Naugle I posted last year, except with GN, the dark marks are nearly black and very small, like a pin head.

Now, I looked up some nutritional deficiency with spots. Mn, Zn, Ca. I can erase out the first two because with these, there is usually other symptoms before the spots appear. Ca is closer but I've been feeding good this year, and other plants are fine. So I doubt this is nutritional.
Plus, overall growth of this particular plant has been great. Still getting bigger and lushing a new leaf as you can see in the third pic.

So that's why I'm looking at diseases. But what? :confused:

I guess I'll wait and see.
I just hate this idea of it being a disease and possibly spreading to other plants while waiting to see what happens.
I'm a bit, or a lot, paranoid when it comes to suspicious marks on plants.
Then, again, who doesn't like clean healthy looking plants? :)

I just hate this idea of it being a disease and possibly spreading to other plants while waiting to see what happens.

Well you should spray a good fungicide anyway. Can you get Bayleton or Zaleton there?

If it were a rust there should be some "rust" powder formed. ;)
I dont think it is a Rust fungi, wipe the leaf with a white tissue and see if anything wipes off.
It could be a different fungal infection but taking guess based on what we can see in the pictures will just likely mislead you.

If you suspect a nutrient deficiency and can't confirm one then also consider a potential toxicity. But that is not going to be easy to prove.

Have you looked real close with a magnifying glass?

Here is a sequence of pics of the caudatum starting with the worst , first affect leaf. (After regular spraying. Nothing else changed)

Next leaf

Next leaf

Next....slowly getting better

Newest leaf on this growth. Problem is finally gone

Fl bud! :clap:

Cleary's 3336 is a good fungicide that is systemic rather
than a spray. I have an enormous bag of it that I bought
and stored. If you'd like to try it, I can send you all you
want. If I remember correctly, I have about 30 lbs. of it!
It was on sale...whatcha gonna do.

My 2 cents.... I am with you when you say you are an indoor grower and don't want to use stuff that is too "strong" (even outdoors I don't use such stuff anymore). So, we don't know for sure what is the problem with your plants and you don't want to use "strong stuff". And, worse, you are afraid it could spread. So maybe you could use a home made remedy that is useful against fungii, bacterias, insects, mites... Cinnamon extract/alcool-water. I always have a few bottles of this stuff, ready to use if I don't really know what I am fighting (I am not always sure if something is fungal of bacterial... ). Of course, if the plant became sick because of cultural fault, we must change something in the growing conditions.

My 2 cents.... I am with you when you say you are an indoor grower and don't want to use stuff that is too "strong" (even outdoors I don't use such stuff anymore). So, we don't know for sure what is the problem with your plants and you don't want to use "strong stuff". And, worse, you are afraid it could spread. So maybe you could use a home made remedy that is useful against fungii, bacterias, insects, mites... Cinnamon extract/alcool-water. I always have a few bottles of this stuff, ready to use if I don't really know what I am fighting (I am not always sure if something is fungal of bacterial... ). Of course, if the plant became sick because of cultural fault, we must change something in the growing conditions.
Erythrone have you a good procedure to prepare alcohol cinnamon extract ? Do you use ethanol or rubbing alcohol (isopropanol IPA). How much cinnamon powder for 1 liter of alcohol?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 9 en utilisant Tapatalk

Brabantia, you can thank Ray for the procedure since mine is inspired from the one on his website:

http://firstrays.com/free-information/pests-ailments/home-remedies/
I basically use extract with rubbing alcohol, but at the end I add water to the remaining liquid (50 % water for 50 % extract). I prefer doing this since I've found isopropyl alcohol to be too much dessicant for many plants.

Cleary's 3336 is a good fungicide that is systemic rather
than a spray. I have an enormous bag of it that I bought
and stored. If you'd like to try it, I can send you all you
want. If I remember correctly, I have about 30 lbs. of it!
It was on sale...whatcha gonna do.

Thanks for the offer, Angela.

I've heard about that stuff, but yes, they are sold in a large quantity because they are for commercial growers as I understand it.

Let me think about it.

Latest posts

Back