Has E-bay sellers lost their minds?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I put something on ebay to sell, I have no say on the price of the 'buy it now' option. Example: I want to sell something and put a start price at $10. I would like to get $20 for it so that stands to reason I would use that price for 'buy it now'. Well, ebay says NO! To list the option of 'buy it now' ebay tells me I MUST ask $35 for it or don't use 'buy it now'. Very nasty business. (these are made up prices, but you get the picture!)

Seriously?? You the seller cannot dictate the 'buy it now' price??

Not true. You can set any price as you want.
Just have a look around the website. Lots of BIN items at varying price ranges.

Also, I sold a few. I could put any number I wanted.

First of all if they are going to ebay then I am not sure they are actual hobbyists interested in the perpetuation of our hobby?! Most people I have met that shop ebay are looking for a "bargain," a "steal" regardless of what it is they are buying. Of course there are exceptions, but overall folks who use ebay are not concerned with bigger pictures.

That's certainly not true in Oz. Ebay is one of the very few ways you can get quality plants. I buy regularly on Ebay. There simply arent any/many true paph nurseries left here. Importing paphs , except for flasks, is near impossible. Its the only way to get divisions of high quality plants. Several of our ST members regularly sell top quality plants on Ebay; mostly grown on from flask. The prices can get ridiculous, though.

The two old adages still apply -
"Buyer beware"
and " A fool and his money are soon parted".

Not true. You can set any price as you want.
Just have a look around the website. Lots of BIN items at varying price ranges.

Also, I sold a few. I could put any number I wanted.

Ebay wouldn't let me set my BIN price. I'd have loved to have set my own BIN price. They just wouldn't accept it. If I wanted the auction up, had to do it their way. Bidding prices where whatever I wanted, but never BIN.

Ebay wouldn't let me set my BIN price. I'd have loved to have set my own BIN price. They just wouldn't accept it. If I wanted the auction up, had to do it their way. Bidding prices where whatever I wanted, but never BIN.
I am confuse as well , but I think, Happypaphy7 and you are talking of two different things:
-one is competitive bidding with an extra BIN (before anyone submits the first competitive bid, one can submit a buy it now)
and
-listing with just one feature BIN
Is that where the two of them are different in price setting?

I am confuse as well , but I think, Happypaphy7 and you are talking of two different things:
-one is competitive bidding with an extra BIN (before anyone submits the first competitive bid, one can submit a buy it now)
and
-listing with just one feature BIN
Is that where the two of them are different in price setting?

Yes, you have it! If I just went with BIN, I believe I could have set the price I wanted. But if I went with both bidding and BIN, I could not make my own BIN price. My example was of the later.

Move to Canada where there are next to no orchids for sale on ebay :p Problems solved! Ha ha ha

Back