Has anybody else seen this

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
Yesterday I was outbid on a salmon besseae on eBay. Check out bid item #130028341593, Its the most solid pink besseae I've seen. Does anyone have one of these they'd like to sell? Maybe I'll learn how to cut and paste the photos from eBay. E.

What this is, is probaly a cross between a regular besseae and a flavum colored one. the offspring ends up being salmon colored. I have some going as well (they are still seedling stage), I made this cross as I wanted to improve the yellow besseae's. If you sib some of the yellow/red hybrids about 1/4 should be yellow again, but hopefully they should have some more vigor. Untill now all the yellow besseae's have been in-bred, as they are all derived from one single plant.

Robert

Thanx Heather, You sure are a computer wiz. I am going to try to attach the photo. If I caould get one that blooms out this color consistently I would buy it for sure just to make some color variation crosses. A major phrag grower once told me he did not like the bleaching out of intensity the besseae hybrids are moving towards but I love peach, purple and orange variations.

Attachments

• 95_1.jpg
    95_1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
'Haven' x 'Smokin'

shxsbloom1ov4.jpg

I contacted the seller, he says that the peach (salmon) colored Phrag. besseae is not formed by crossing the flavum with the typical. Instead, it is just a mere color form (one that I find very intersting)... the salmon Phrag. besseae he offers originates from OZ.

-Pat

Mahon said:
I contacted the seller, he says that the peach (salmon) colored Phrag. besseae is not formed by crossing the flavum with the typical. Instead, it is just a mere color form (one that I find very intersting)... the salmon Phrag. besseae he offers originates from OZ.

-Pat

Yeah, Mine's from OZ too. The cross is listed above w/ my photo.

New besseae-YAY!

I finally got one of the salmon besseaes from the eBay vendor in California. The person also had a flavum, and some other interesting plants. Is this OZ/Orchid Magic stock. Also the peach/apricot St. Ouen x besseae cross I'm looking for has a 'Z' on the tag. I will post it later to see if anyone has one to sell. E.

I got a bunch of sibs from OZ, and about 30 of them were 'Smokin' x 'Haven', of which about 10 turned out this peachy color. The rest were red, so there is some kind of recessive gene thing going on here. Needless to say, the new generation from OZ have the best shape I have ever seen of any besseae (if you like big round and flat), but the older OZ generations and recent generations we have created are much more dark red. Naturally, I made sib crosses between the new OZ ones and old dark red types. Hopefully that will make for a very well balanced flower.

Recessive genes? Is that like Levi's 684's, You know big bell bottoms? Cool man:rollhappy: Actually, I need to get more species so I may be buying various besseaes. I'm still kind of curious about that vendor "bostonorchids" on eBay..and the obviously OZ stuff.

Latest posts

Back