Harvey Man Hee Wong & SFG

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Boy, that name is mouthful!
Here is my second blooming Harvey Man Hee Wong. It is a cross between Shun-Fa Golden x armeniacum.
It last bloomed in the spring of 2019, so this plant is a good grower and bloomer.
The flower is quite large at 17cm across. Brilliant lemon yellow with some green hue.

I have bloomed about three plants of this cross and the plant size & leaf colors/patterns are all over the board.
This one looks like a giant armeniacum plant.
In case you might be curious, there is no scent at all.

xjNeCYMl.jpg

It would have been nice to have this Shun-Fa Golden in bloom to compare the two side by side.
I would guess by the time this bud opens up (My estimate is around mid to late October), Harvey Man Hee Wong might not be in bloom any more.
This plant was purchased as a seedling with about 8inch width three years ago. It has grown large and now each leaf is about 8-9inch long!
A big beautiful plant with a big bud. I can already tell it is going to be a very big flower. I just hope for a nice shape. and good fragrance. Cheers!!

fa4VPiFl.jpg

Ohhhhh that bud's gonna get a lot bigger than that ;-)
I sure do hope so! :)
I have bloomed some before, and one with a huge flower grew in this same manner. A big bud showing up early on. Others with a small flower held a tiny bud until the spike grew tall. So, hopefully, my wild guess would prove me correct in the near future.
I'm very excited and better not turn out to be a disappointment. ha~

The bud looks quite similar to my FCC clone's buds. It will be big, and probably full, too.
Haha I wish! By the way, only two days passed and the bud is even bigger while the spike has not risen much at all. I guess the soaking last night helped. haha Anticipation is building up.

Last edited:
any chance you have photos of the other 2 plants/flowers you bloomed out of this cross? would be interesting to see the diversity

any chance you have photos of the other 2 plants/flowers you bloomed out of this cross? would be interesting to see the diversity

I must have deleted since the flowers were not as good at all.
They were both very large flowers but with some serious problems when it comes to flatness and shape. Both had much much lighter yellow color than this plant in the post.
Now, the plant...One looked like a large armeniacum with long narrow leaves. It looked like a slightly smaller version of this plant in the post but the leaf texture was just like armeniacum rather than a typical hang hybrids which tend to have smooth and slightly shiny surface.
I didn't like it and tossed it. A very very very slow grower.

The other plant, which I still have, is surprisingly small at about 7inch across which is only about half the length of the plant in this post. It is so cute that I wanted to keep. The leaves are round and the green color is much more like a hangianum x parvi primary hybrid. That light green tone. You don't really see armeniacum.
The new growth made a bud that sat low for many months to finally just dry up and die. That was a few months ago. Very disappointing because I was looking forward to it for nearly two years! Now there is a third growth well on its way. Hopefully I will see it flower again within the next two years. It is small so I think I will keep it for a while.
This currently blooming plant makes it all the more special considering what I had gone through with those two others. :)

Last edited:
I must have deleted since the flowers were not as good at all.
They were both very large flowers but with some serious problems when it comes to flatness and shape. Both had much much lighter yellow color than this plant in the post.
Now, the plant...One looked like a large armeniacum with long narrow leaves. It looked like a slightly smaller version of this plant in the post but the leaf texture was just like armeniacum rather than a typical hang hybrids which tend to have smooth and slightly shiny surface.
I didn't like it and tossed it. A very very very slow grower.

The other plant, which I still have, is surprisingly small at about 7inch across which is only about half the length of the plant in this post. It is so cute that I wanted to keep. The leaves are round and the green color is much more like a hangianum x parvi primary hybrid. That light green tone. You don't really see armeniacum.
The new growth made a bud that sat low for many months to finally just dry up and die. That was a few months ago. Very disappointing because I was looking forward to it for nearly two years! Now there is a third growth well on its way. Hopefully I will see it flower again within the next two years. It is small so I think I will keep it for a while.
This currently blooming plant makes it all the more special considering what I had gone through with those two others. :)

thanx for that was trying to gauge if your plant is a one in a thousand, or a 1 in 10... seems more likely that it's the former... not feeling like a gambler on this one :) if a piece ever falls off, keep me on your list please... It's color pretty much matches a Wossner Kolarmi that i've brought back from the brink hoping it will flower again this year

thanx for that was trying to gauge if your plant is a one in a thousand, or a 1 in 10... seems more likely that it's the former... not feeling like a gambler on this one :) if a piece ever falls off, keep me on your list please... It's color pretty much matches a Wossner Kolarmi that i've brought back from the brink hoping it will flower again this year

Is it armeniacum x kolopakingii?
How many flowers did it have on its last blooming?

I had one similar. Bel Royal x armeniacum.
It grew very well with lots of roots and growths, only it never bloomed. A common ol same story for multi x parvi hybrids.
I think Eric has it now. :)

yes to the arm x kolo a parkside plant from 2009

ha i was about to tell you i didn't have a photo... but here ya go... attesting to my senility, somehow the photo is named for Bellarmi, which it isn't because i also have that plant with an actual photo...

Attachments

• Paph. Wossner Bellarmi_80.jpg
    Paph. Wossner Bellarmi_80.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 8
yes to the arm x kolo a parkside plant from 2009

ha i was about to tell you i didn't have a photo... but here ya go... attesting to my senility, somehow the photo is named for Bellarmi, which it isn't because i also have that plant with an actual photo...

Wow~ My Bel Royal x armeniacum also came from Parkside. I went to their last open house sale event in 2015 before they closed.
The paph house looked pretty much abandoned with nearly all the stock in terrible conditions (they had a hard time keeping things in good conditions due to healthy issues of the owner for a long time which was very unfortunate.) There were lots of very interesting and rare hybrids in the greenhouse but vast majority were goners. The ones that got my attention the most were Bel Royal x armeniacum and Hiroki Tanaka.
I picked on best looking Bel Royal x armeniacum but nothing else since they were in such terrible shape.
My plant grew very well throwing lots of roots and new growths. Some of the growths would send up a sheath but they never develop into a spike. So, after a while, I have up on them. I already had Dollgoldi and other stuff that would grow but not bloom.

Latest posts

Back