Harold Koopowitz is spiking!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I bought this plant as a mid sized seedling about four five years ago.
It has grown big with three growths now, and I see that it is definitely sending up a spike with at least one bud in it. Another growth seems to be spiking as well, but it is rather too soon to tell. Super excited!!!

WQSb3N4l.jpg

I think congratulations are in order! These can be such reluctant bloomers, and I'll be keeping my eyes open for photos of your plants in full bloom. Should be nice.

I think congratulations are in order! These can be such reluctant bloomers, and I'll be keeping my eyes open for photos of your plants in full bloom. Should be nice.
Thanks! the good thing about this is that once you see the real sheath form at the center, things tend to move forward rather fast.
I think I see two buds already. Three would be better, but I will take two. :)

Good job. I have several, but they have all been sleeping beauties. Mike
That's how this one has been in the last few years. Hopefully yours will come into bloom soon.
I was thinking of getting one or two from Sam, but now that this guy is going to bloom, I will hold on that thought until I see the flower quality on this plant.
Are yours from Sam? Did you get a flask once upon a time? lol I regret for not getting his Dollgoldi flask a while ago. Oh, well.
If you have enough Harold Koopowitz, I might buy one from you? Think about it, please.

I have one or two from Sam and two from SVO. One of the ones from Sam bloomed several years ago, but none of the others have. The leaves are attractive and they are good growers. Hopefully they will bloom some day. I did not purchase a flask.

Here is the one from Sam. It is Roth "C.E." FCC/AOS x malipoense "Mallingham Giant". Mike
HK from Sam.jpg

Mike- Wow~ that one has unique colors!!
I have seen mostly green ones with dark stripes and I have seen some yellowish one. Yours has yellowish flower with brown pouch.
Is this nearing the end or was it this light the whole time??

Also, how long did it take to go from spiking to open bloom on this one?
Mine is moving along quite fast and I now see at least three buds. Very exciting!

It has been several years since these bloomed, so I don't remember how long it took for the flowers to develop. I don't believe these flowers were fading yet, since I try to get representative photos of flowers for archive purposes. If they were well past prime, I probably would not have taken the photo. I just don't remember. Mike

Thanks, Mike!

I have only bloomed Delrosi and Pink Sky when it comes to parvi x multi hybrids are concerned. I have a willing bloomer of brach x multi.
All of these plants have behaved the same. They would spike and go straight to bloom without pause. Pink Sky surprised me the most since it took barely two months to go from low sheath to open bloom. So far, Harold Koopowitz has been moving along quite fast so I'm hopeful. I definitely wouldn't want it to behave like malipoense. haha

A bit late update on this guy.
So it took only one month to go from the above photo to the open bloom.
It had three total, but only one open at a time, which was disappointing. In this photo below, the very first flower had already fallen off.
It was well over 20cm across, so it was a large flower but it only lasted for a few days before turning brown. I think there was some kind of issue.
The very last flower fell off yesterday.

Also, I was hoping that the pouch would be free of dark colors like some that I have seen. Oh, well..
The plant is pushing a second spike, so I will see how it fares the second time.
The plant has a total of three growths.

Y3z12Vel.jpg

That is real nice. A bit strange about the flower life. My clone was in flower forever, more than 3 months. I never thought they were going to die. Hopefully what happened to yours was not typical and next flowering will be better.

I like them with the dark veins. Great looking.

I agree. I think they are the most sought after clones.

That is real nice. A bit strange about the flower life. My clone was in flower forever, more than 3 months. I never thought they were going to die. Hopefully what happened to yours was not typical and next flowering will be better.

I agree. I think they are the most sought after clones.

David, is yours still blooming well?

David, is yours still blooming well?

I haven't flowered my best clone in a few years. I have another clone which has about a dozen growths and it has never flowered. I put it out in my cool house for about 6 weeks where the winter temperature got down to 2 or 3 degrees Celsius. It was also receiving much brighter light. I have just put it back in the hothouse. Fingers crossed the shock will trigger it to flower.

I haven't flowered my best clone in a few years. I have another clone which has about a dozen growths and it has never flowered. I put it out in my cool house for about 6 weeks where the winter temperature got down to 2 or 3 degrees Celsius. It was also receiving much brighter light. I have just put it back in the hothouse. Fingers crossed the shock will trigger it to flower.

The flowered growth is sending up three new growths, which is very exciting!!
And the second mature growth looks to be in sheath deep down. Yay!!! :)

The flowered growth is sending up three new growths, which is very exciting!!
And the second mature growth looks to be in sheath deep down. Yay!!! :)

Great. Appears you have a vigorous clone and one that easily flowers.

It doesn't look like my experiment of putting my Harold Koopowitz in the cookhouse in brighter light has worked. No sign of any flowers.

Latest posts

Back