Hardy Hibiscus 'Lord Baltimore'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they do need hot summers. They emerge from the earth late in the spring (June, here); but, the frost is out of the ground for over 2 months by then. They have to grow very fast to reach 5 or 6 feet and get their flowers open, before things cool down again. If the summer is not hot, they don't grow fast enough to mature and actually bloom. When that happens, it's very disappointing to see a plant loaded with buds; but, you don't get to see any of them open up before the plant begins it's autumn dieback.

never knew hardy hibiscus comes in such intense and vivid color!
This is why 'Lord Baltimore' is my favourite! Other red hardy Hibiscus have a less bright red colour and the texture is a bit "waxy" looking. I don't find that particularly attractive. The pinks are nice and the white ones are always spectacular; but, a lot of reds are not great, IMO. However, 'Lord Baltimore' has a very vivid, brilliant red colour and it looks the most like a giant red flowered, Tropical plant.

Update:

Photo taken September 18 with 27 flowers!
36225.jpg

Thanks!

I fed it well as it rapidly grew up and until just recently, I watered it heavily, daily, even though the earth was always very damp. These Hibiscus love lots and lots of water. I think it liked my care this year. Can't wait 'till next year to see what it can do.

Back