Haraella retrocalla question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MissMorbus

I bought a Haraella retrocalla recently. I'm having a little trouble finding care information for it. It's my first orchid. I've done tons of forum reading on orchids in general, I just can seem to find anything specific on this orchid. It's potted right now, but I plan to mount it after I get paid next week. How often do I need to water it? I've read to let it dry out a little and I've also read to keep it wet.

Any tips?

Or it can manage in low humidity, not the best watering, and low light. This is just to say that it takes abuse.

Someone experimented with 3 growing conditions and posted results a couple of years ago on some forum - I wonder if the info is still around somewhere?

Thanks for the advice. I noticed today that the bloom was closing up. It's not wilting, it's actually closing. Is that a common thing for them to do when the bloom is old? It's the flower that the plant came with so I can't guess how old it is, but I've had it a little over a week so the flower is older than that.

Thanks for your help.

in my experience, the flowers will last 1-2 weeks. luckily they seem to keep sending up new spikes every few weeks.

Ok here is what works for me an my two haerellas. Both are mounted with a small spahg pad. I then sit them in a bigger clay pot on top of a ball of sphag. I then place the whole pot in a small resevoir of water maybe a 1/4inch deep. Then I water the whole thing every two to three days. I was thinking of moving these to my outsode area, but not sure if they will like the oppressive heat of summer here.

Thanks Tadd! That gives me a pretty good idea of what to do. Considering the way you grow them, I guess they like a lot of humidity and a pretty good amount of water.

Back