Happy Camper

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here are just a few of the things I liked...

many more pics to come. Change of plans too, I will spend most, if not all of the day tomorrow dividing and repotting Paph and Phrag stud plants. I have been to many nurseries. I have NEVER seen better culture, period.

kovachii
Fritz Schomburgh flavum
Papa Frankie Quintal
armeniacum (w/ Liberty Taiwan in the background?)
In large commercial houses, I find having enough staff and a good maintenance program seem to be the keys to good culture.
:D Thanks.
what studs did you get?

This armeniacum is a deam and the pic nr 3 Phrag too what ever it is...

Need no the hungarian tablettes too

Thanks for the additional photos. Such great plants and flowers...interesting way of wedging the larger pots in the screened bench. Had to put sunglasses on for the armeniacum!

2nd gen Pk hybrids

Thanks for the photos.
That armeniacum is amazing, BUT I've now seen enough of the 2nd gen PK hybrids to know that I'll be making room for them as soon as any become available for sale. (Adios Eumelia Arias - not my favourite)
I've not seen anything available yet in Europe.
I'd love to see what the EYOF are currently producing....
David

..I've now seen enough of the 2nd gen PK hybrids to know that I'll be making room for them as soon as any become available for sale. (Adios Eumelia Arias - not my favourite)
I've not seen anything available yet in Europe.

Anything can be had for the right reason. :evil:

kovachii
Fritz Schomburgh flavum
Papa Frankie Quintal
armeniacum (w/ Liberty Taiwan in the background?)
In large commercial houses, I find having enough staff and a good maintenance program seem to be the keys to good culture.
:D Thanks.
what studs did you get?

Good guess, but the first one is NOT kovachii, it's a hybrid. I ended up not getting any plants this trip, but ordered some for an upcoming show in March that I am selling at. For those of you who have some patience some of the PK hybrids that will be released in the next few years will surpass your wildest dreams, I promise...

For those of you who are not familiar with Quintal Farms, they are one of, if not the best wholesale nurseries out there. They don't do retail, they sell only to the people who many of us buy from at orchid shows and nurseries pretty much everywhere. It is one of their policies not to sell any retail, period. They do this because their customers who sell their plants are the ones who are keeping them going. I know that there are a bunch of wholesalers who are starting to do both retail AND wholesale; which is taking money out of the pockets of the people who buy from them wholesale. Quintal Farms has integrity. Even though I am a friend, have stayed there, done work(carpentry and planting out stuff) I haven't, and wouldn't use my friendship to try and get some of these incredible new hybrids. When they become available to me I will pay whatever they ask because I have seen some of the test crosses. I will also have to wait my turn, behind their regular customers, because like I stated earlier they have integrity and give their loyal customers first crack at the best of what they have to offer.

I really appreciate your last post Fred. Well put and spot on analysis. Every one of us would love to have cutting edge, high quality plants at dirt cheap prices. But isn't part of the allure to strive to get those plants, to visit with vendors who also do small scale hybridizing and breeding, to get to know those people and have them deliver individualized service on a personable level. I don't know about you, but the most rewarding thing for me is to patronize the people/vendors who take the time to sit and talk to me about culture, trends, what excites them, and build a relationship on a first name basis with the people I buy from. If they were to disappear, orchid growing would be less fascinating, less enjoyable, less personal. Just an opinion

Good guess, but the first one is NOT kovachii, it's a hybrid. I ended up not getting any plants this trip, but ordered some for an upcoming show in March that I am selling at. For those of you who have some patience some of the PK hybrids that will be released in the next few years will surpass your wildest dreams, I promise...

The color is the reason I guess Pk for the first one, it looks very dark.
Not getting any plants!?!? .....:pity: :sob:
Patience!? :p
Thanks for sharing.

I am waiting on some things to become available. The plants I want are some unregistered hybrids which will not be released until EVERY one of them is bloomed out. Talk about patience. Could you imagine waiting a year for a pod to mature, waiting a year to get flasks back from the lab, and then another 3 or more years to see the potential of a particular cross? I have seen many plants get tossed because they were not up to QF standards. Plants that their competitors would have sold without a second thought...

Back