Happy Camper

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

limuhead

The countdown has begun! In about 36 hours I will land in Hilo, go to Ken's House of Pancakes, drop off my luggage at the Hilo Seaside Hotel, and make my first stop at Quintal Farms. I am thinking that one sign of an economic recovery is that almost every Orchid Nursery on the Big Island of Hawaii told me that they are already getting their inventory wiped out for Spring Shows. For the last few months I have been working overtime and doing side jobs, saving my pennies and I now have a pretty good nest egg for orchid shopping. Needless to say I am very excited to go. I will most likely be buying plugs/2" pots seeing how most of the places said they are short of plants...

I wish I could be in a warmer climate like you are. It's zero degrees out and they are talking about -15 tomorrow night. I wish you some happy hunting as maybe down the line some of us STers will benefit from you hunt. Go get um.

I wish I could be in a warmer climate like you are. It's zero degrees out and they are talking about -15 tomorrow night. I wish you some happy hunting as maybe down the line some of us STers will benefit from you hunt. Go get um.

Well, IF some slippertalk members were to accidentally post some requests I might be able to pick them up. Worst case scenario; I have an orchid show coming up in March and need a few plants to boost my inventory. If they don't get snapped up before then it's a win-win situation for me and maybe a chance to do a few favors for my friends...

Envy you!! Don't forget the Heineken.

Actually Kai is slowing down in his old age; it's Heineken Lite nowadays...
A few years ago he let me make some crosses, hopefully some of them are on the benches. He make me promise to take the rest of the Cymbidiums, which I sincerely appreciate, but I don't have room for 700 more overgrown plugs. slippertalk fund maybe?

That would have to do! :(
I'm only a little envious.

Psssst, any Pk 2nd generation plants named Quintal, nice Paphs, etc... :p

I saw about 100 or so 2nd gen Pk plants in bloom and/or in spike today. Unfortunately most of them were either reserved or slated for breeding. Going to BBQ at Kai's place tomorrow if the weather holds out, but weather report doesn't look promising; thunder storms and 90% chance of rain. I might be able to pick up a few plants, but not counting on it. Saw a few today with 6+ inch NS, amazing color, first blooms. Hopefully I can get a few runts that will bloom next year or the following year. Kai is a good friend but this is how he makes his money. He has loyal long term bread and butter customers he has to take care of first.

But I did see a plethora of amazing Paphs I might be able to get my hands on...

I have a schedule now. Going to Quintal Farms for a BBQ tonight, hike a volcano tomorrow, then Yamamoto Dendrobiums, Hilo Orchid Farms, The Orchid Works, Kalapana Tropicals, Orchid Eros, and Quintal Farms on Monday. Went shopping for Anthuriums today, spent a small fortune but I got some stuff that nobody else has except the grower and myself. Far less expensive and easier to grow than orchids, well unless you buy like I do...

Ok, here is just a teaser, this is a few of 4, maybe 5 stud plant benches. I saw no less than 200 either seed pods or attempts at crosses and learned a few things about Phrag genetics. I used to wonder why they were so expensive, now I know...

Back