Hanukkah

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hanukkah, la Fête des Lumières, begins this evening. This eight-day Jewish Holiday, also known as the Festival of Lights, celebrates survival, freedom and the triumph of light over darkness.

chan-w-1_an.gif

[YOUTUBE]Anv3PN5fCZA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Interesting how those of us in the tribe...

spell Chanukkah differently. I was instructed as a child that the festival was a time for renewing friendship, forgiving wrongs and reconciling with those one may have
treated unfairly in the past and settling debts of many kinds. Of course, for us, surviving is quite an accomplishment as a people and should be celebrated.

I lit my first candle at sundown.

Yes, Happy Hanukkah!
As abax expounded -- admirable aspirations that all of us can embrace.
JC

There will be two candles to light this evening, set apart from the shamash (attendant) candle.

I've amended my first post above with a musical selection on YouTube for those of you who may be interested. This, by the way, is really my favorite holiday of the year, and it's not just because I love latkes and beef brisket or that I'm drawn to a candle flame like a moth. :p

chan-w-2_an.gif

What is represented by these eight candles? The eight is also a symbol for eternitiy, are there other aspects?
Christs celebrate at the thame time the ´Advent´, the 4 Sundays before Christmas, every sunday one more candle.
The 4 and the 8, what is the difference and what is the same? 2x2=4
2x2x2=8. Any ideas?

eight for the eight nights the oil burned
{all but one vial of oil to be burned in the eternal light was destroyed along with the temple when it was destroyed (the first time?). they found one vial in the ruins. it should have lasted one day but the miracle of hanukah is that it burned eight days, as long as it took to make more (i think)}

nine candles.
eight for the eight days and one to light 'em

Happy Hanukkah! We're keeping it low key, just candles and all, until Saturday when the (almost) whole family comes over...then we'll do the presents and latkes and brisket and too much fat in the diet...but, I will accompany it with too much red wine!

Lanmark, it's my favorite holiday too. Xmas is loud and
consumer dominated and reports on retail sales. I like the quiet celebration of Chanukkah with family and really gooood food. I even baked Challah today...delicious!

We light the third candle this evening. :) There's something very peaceful and reassuring in carrying out these ancient rituals and traditions, knowing that millions of others around the world are doing the same.

chan-w-3_an.gif

What is represented by these eight candles? The eight is also a symbol for eternitiy, are there other aspects?
Christs celebrate at the thame time the ´Advent´, the 4 Sundays before Christmas, every sunday one more candle.
The 4 and the 8, what is the difference and what is the same? 2x2=4
2x2x2=8. Any ideas?

eight for the eight nights the oil burned
{all but one vial of oil to be burned in the eternal light was destroyed along with the temple when it was destroyed (the first time?). they found one vial in the ruins. it should have lasted one day but the miracle of hanukah is that it burned eight days, as long as it took to make more (i think)}

nine candles.
eight for the eight days and one to light 'em

Correct! :clap: This holiday has its origins in the miracle of the Maccabees.

Lanmark, it's my favorite holiday too. Xmas is loud and
consumer dominated and reports on retail sales. I like the quiet celebration of Chanukkah with family and really gooood food. I even baked Challah today...delicious!

There is indeed something very peaceful and joyous about the celebrations of Hanoucca. Friday evening I will get out my favorite Craig Taubman CD, The Shabbat Lounge (I highly recommend it to everyone), and we will enjoy a home-cooked traditional beef brisket meal accompanied by the songs from this wonderful album.

I'll get dragged -- kicking and screaming - LOL, not really -- into Christmas celebrations for at least a few hours on Sunday and Monday by family members who celebrate Christmas, but the season of Chanukkah is much more dear to my heart.

happyhanukkat.jpg

Thanks, now I understand the miracle of the eternal light, it burned for 8 days and the 8 is the symbol for eternity too.
I wish all of you, who are celebrating these 8 days, peace, friendship, forgiveness and all the best for your families...and some flowering orchids too..
Best regards, Gina

Family background...might it be permissible to

ask members of the tribe for their historical background?
I've been interested for years in how and where we all came from originally. It does make a bit of difference in
how we spell/pronounce names of holidays, etc.

I'm from a Sephardic background of Levi-Nathans who
came here from Spain in the mid-to-late 1500s to escape
the Inquisition. By and large, Sephardic Jews originated
in North Africa, probably Alexandria, Egypt where there
was a large population of Jewish citizens in the Ptolemaic
period. Anyone else like to contribute to my inquiry?

ask members of the tribe for their historical background?
I've been interested for years in how and where we all came from originally. It does make a bit of difference in
how we spell/pronounce names of holidays, etc.

I'm from a Sephardic background of Levi-Nathans who
came here from Spain in the mid-to-late 1500s to escape
the Inquisition. By and large, Sephardic Jews originated
in North Africa, probably Alexandria, Egypt where there
was a large population of Jewish citizens in the Ptolemaic
period. Anyone else like to contribute to my inquiry?

I have an Ashkenazic maternal background, descended from the medieval Jewish communities along the Rhine. Yiddish was spoken. My mother's family immigrated here (USA) shortly before the Holocaust, coming from the village of Zezulin, gmina Ludwin in the province of Lublin near the eastern border of Poland with the Ukraine. The province of Lublin is where the Majdanek concentration camp was located. 59K of the 79K people who died there during its 34 months of operation were Polish Jews.

Hanoucca is how I generally spell the name of this holiday, but this is because I grew up in a multilingual home. English and French, however, are the only two languages which really "stuck" on me. Hanoucca is the French spelling.

Last edited:
We'll light four candles today, making a point to do so before sundown using slightly larger candles because Shabbat begins at sundown.

chan-w-4_an.gif

I'm pleased that the winter solstice is behind us now. The daylengths are once again increasing. :clap:

[YOUTUBE]yJqLkffk5ac[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bUTiKtCS23c[/YOUTUBE]

I'm Ashkenazi.........my father was a Galitzianer (now Poland, but my father always claimed Austria, as it belonged to Austria when he was born), my mother was from Odessa. Both families moved to Germany after WW1, because (at the time) it was the safest place for Jews in Europe...well, so much for that idea. Long stories about their histories! But there is a "Jewish Y-chromosome" that is very distinct....found in most Jews, both Ashkenazi and Sepahrdic. Interestingly enough, there was a tribe in Southern Africa (not sure which country) that claimed to be Jewish. That was always disputed...until they were tested. Apparently, they do have the Jewish Y! Interestingly, according to my youngest son, the Bedouins also have that Y chromosome.

There are also Chinese Jews and there was

a Talmud scholar in NY who was making the group a new
Tora because the copy they had at the time of their discovery in China was literally falling apart due to age
and usage over many generations.

Thank you for telling me your stories and I dearly hope to
have more responses. Our history is a very long and interesting one on so many levels.

Latest posts

Back