Hanne Popow family shot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
Couldn't resist taking the time to bring these all out of the greenhouse and take a family portrait. Photo includes Phragmipedium besseae and besseae flavum; Phrag schlimii; Phrag Hanne Popow (including one made with besseae flavum); and Phrag St. Ouen (which is Hanne Popow crossed back with besseae).

Excellent!!! Are they all hanna popow and it's hybrids?

What the..?? You need to get some Phrags.
Left to right
besseae, schlimii (species that make Hanne Popow), Hanne Popow, Saint Ouen, Hanne Popow, besseae flavum, dalessandroi (or maybe Jersey), Hanne Popow, Hanne Popow flavum, besseae flavum.

Last edited:
I'm so glad you couldn't resist showing off! All of them
are gorgeous and blooming at the same time is almost
unheard of for me. I'm convinced you have magic Scottish
water.

Beautiful all of them, but especially that besseae flavum in the middle *drool*

Now that is a sight! Wow! Splendid!

Thanks for gathering the family and sharing with us!

What the..?? You need to get some Phrags.
Left to right
besseae, schlimii (species that make Hanne Popow), Hanne Popow, Saint Ouen, Hanne Popow, besseae flavum, dalessandroi (or maybe Jersey), Hanne Popow, Hanne Popow flavum, besseae flavum.

NYEric you got it almost perfect. The Hanne Popow in the lower left is also a flavum, according to the tag that came with it from Orchids Limited. It must have had its great pouch colour come in from the schlimii parent, as it is the best Hanne Popow flavum I have had or seen.

In any case, yes, its the first time I've ever had so many of this group blooming all at once, so I thought I should record it..! Kind of fun, eh..? :)

My water supply is from freshwater springs in the gardens that surround our house, so lots of dissolved salts, and very acidic. Mostly I water nearly all the phrags every day, pretty heavily. The main exception are the ones in rockwool, which I water every 3 days or so. (I don't like rockwool for several reasons, not least because it messes with my daily watering, which keeps things simple.)

Well, you know what to do at repotting time.

Not so simple. Phrags really do not like coming out of rockwool and into bark. Basically they lose a couple of year's growth as they recover from the change. So I am very reluctant these days to make that change, unless I feel I must. It seems that the micro-fibres of the rockwool tend to cling to the roots, and when you remove the rockwool, you can't remove those tiny fibres effectively without damaging the roots. So the new potting mix only really begins to do well once new roots have grown to take over. So they look pretty sad for a long while. :sob:

Latest posts

Back