Hankering for wine and cheese (and a side-trip to Windy Hill)?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
NEWS RELEASE

October 2007 ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI

Art St. Louis XXIII, The Exhibition: Twenty-third annual all media juried exhibit of works by St. Louis regional artists. Exhibit details: www.artstlouis.org/upcoming.html

Exhibition venue: Art Saint Louis, 917 Locust Street, #300, St. Louis, Missouri

Exhibition dates: November 12, 2007-January 3, 2008

Opening Weekend Events: FREE & open to the public
1) Juror’s Gallery Talk: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 6-7 p.m. at Art Saint Louis FREE
2) Opening Reception: Saturday, November 18, 2006, 7-9 p.m. at Art Saint Louis FREE
3) Juror’s presentation: “Beyond the Bomb-Organizing the Present," Bruce Guenther at Saint Louis Art Museum Friends Room on Sunday, November 12, 2007, 1 p.m. FREE

Juror: Bruce Guenther, Chief Curator, Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art, Portland Art Museum, OR. Guenther has been with the Portland Art Museum since 2001 and has worked in the art museum field for over 30 years. Prior to Portland, he served as: Chief Curator, Orange County Museum of Art, Newport Beach, CA (1991-1999); Chief Curator, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL (1987-1991); Co-Acting Director, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL (1988-1989); Curator of Contemporary Art, Seattle Art Museum, WA (1979-1987); Curator (1974-1978) and Director (1978-1979), Museum of Art, Washington State University. Internationally recognized for his work in contemporary art, Mr. Guenther is sought after for his expertise as a public speaker, guest curator, juror, writer, art collection advisor, and public arts panelist for state, municipal and federal arts commissions.

Featured Artists:
This 23rd annual exhibit was open to artists in the St. Louis region & 200-mile radius. From 656 artworks submitted by 145 St. Louis regional artists for Mr. Guenther’s consideration, he selected 69 artworks by 40 artists for the exhibition.

The featured artists are:
o Greg Barth, Wildwood, MO www.gregbarth.com
o Thomas Beilmann, St. Louis, MO www.tombeilmann.com
o Blake Carroll, Festus, MO
o Rosemary Claus-Gray, Doniphan, MO www.rosemaryclaus-gray.com
o Dylan Collins, Cape Girardeau, MO
o Carol Corey, University City, MO www.visualzen.net
o Ioana Datcu, Vermont, IL
o Suhaimi Fadzir, Fairview Heights, IL
o Dominic Finocchio, St. Louis, MO
o Christine Giancola, Florissant, MO
o John M. Goessmann, St. Louis, MO
o Bob Goulding, Innsbrook, MO
o Tim Hahn, Augusta, MO
o Bob Hartzell, Columbia, MO www.bobhartzell.com
o Joyce Harvell, St. Louis, MO
o Anukriti Sud Hittle, University City, MO
o Jason Hoeing, Shrewsbury, MO
o Jane Johnson Hoeltzel, Clayton, MO
o Cary Horton, Shrewsbury, MO
o Sheldon Johnson, Ladue, MO
o Greg Kluempers, Florissant, MO www.a-good-eye.com
o Ken Konchel, University City, MO www.kenkonchelphoto.com
o Jason Lenny, Ballwin, MO http://webpages.charter.net/jasonlenny/home
o Marlene DiFiori Locke, Maryland Heights, MO www.geocities.com/difioriart
o Beth Anne Martin, Swansea, IL http://bam-art.com
o Alex Paradowski, St. Louis, MO www.alexparadowski.com
o Matt Pierson, Wentzville, MO
o Amy Firestone Rosen, Clayton, MO
o Jim Sabo, St. Louis, MO
o Jason E. Sandberg, Edwardsville, IL
o Robert Schleicher, Maplewood, MO
o Matthew Standish, St. Louis, MO
o Barbara H. Stevens, Rochester, IL
o Robin Street-Morris, St. Louis, MO www.streetmorrisart.com
o Larry Torno, University City, MO www.tornophoto.com
o Andrea Vadner, Richmond Heights, MO http://web.mac.com/avadner/iWeb/Site/Watercolors.html
o Justin Visnesky, St. Louis, MO www.justinvisnesky.com
o Jeane Vogel, Olivette, MO www.vogelpix.com
o Peggy Wyman, Macomb, MO www.studio-casa-cielo.com
o Bill Yates, Canton, MO

Juror's Presentation:
Sunday, November 11, 2007, 1PM Saint Louis Art Museum Friends Room. In this illustrated lecture, "Beyond the Bomb-Organizing the Present," Bruce Guenther will discuss the post-1960 artist's practice in response to Post-Modernism. Drawing examples from U.S. and international exbibitions, he will explore current paradigms of production from painting to installation, beginning with a diagram of modernism created by Alfred Barr, Jr. Mr. Barr was an influential art historian and the first director of the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Guenther will talk about the explosion of artistic directions post-1960 that are based in artists' practices that derive from minimalist structures and a post-conceptual framework, which creates art out of idea and not traditional narrative. Examples will range from Jeff Koons to Du-Ho Suh.

Juror's Presentation Sponsors: Art Saint Louis, Maryville University, McKendree University, St. Charles Community College, Saint Louis Art Museum, Saint Louis University, St. Louis Community College at Florissant Valley, St. Louis Community College at Forest Park, St. Louis Community College at Meramec, Sam Fox School of Visual Art & Design, Washington University, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, Webster University

Art St. Louis XXIII Sponsors
Major Sponsors: EdwardJones, THF Realty / Staenberg Family Foundation
Sponsors: Merle Lee Buzzotta, Nancy & Kenneth Kranzberg, Missouri Arts Council, Regional Arts Commission
Supporters: HRI Properties/Renaissance Grand Hotel, Indox Services, The Koetting Associates, The Lawrence Group, McCormack Baron Salazar, Ultra-Color Corporation
Reception Sponsors: Companion Baking Company, Hank’s Cheesecakes, La Tropicana Market & Deli, Something Elegant Catering, Sweet Cuppin’ Cakes, Windows Off Washington

For information, contact:
Ms. Robin Hirsch, Associate Director, Gallery Director
Art Saint Louis
917 Locust Street, #300
St. Louis, MO 63101-1413
314/241-4810 (2#)
[email protected]
www.artstlouis.org
http://artstlouis.blogspot.com

1986-2007: ART SAINT LOUIS -- 21 YEARS STRONG

I wish you guys could too. I figured the lure of a rather reputable orchid nursery nearby might do it if anything would. Being able to talk paphs would lessen the social anxiety for sure.

I’m going to make a confession though—I haven’t been to Windy Hill yet. Appointment-only places (not saying I don’t understand why this is necessary in the case of some nurseries) make me feel like I need to bring a pile of cash with me, whether this is really expected or not. I certainly will go at some point though with the advanced warning that I’m not going to be worth fussing over!

Windy Hill is appointment only because it is a one woman operation, and Marilyn has to work a day-job too, in order to have health insurance. She works Monday to Friday 'till 5 or later. So you need to check with her on weekends to make sure she will be home. Especially during show season she is away frequently. She loves customers to come in and browse, Windy Hill in Labadie is a beautiful drive out in the county, west of St. Louis. I already made a date to visit over the Thanksgiving weekend. Give Windy Hill a call, she'd love to see you.

This sounds fun!

I can't make it of course, but of ALL the vendors, I've found that Marilyn is the sort of vendor who is happy to have people only visit. She's a delightful woman.

Besides, Robin, you like small white flowers....perhaps a Mexipedium is in order? She's been having a sale, you know...:poke:

Heather, I think you have me confused with someone else—nothing but big n’ bright splash petal catts around here.

I will definitely look Marilyn up at some point; I’ve never heard anything but great things.

I guess I can put this here…

Leo Schordje and I ran into each other at Windy Hill this afternoon—I was kind of hoping no one would see how few plants I was buying in the face of such an opportunity! I chose only a Mexipedium xerophyticum ‘Pixie Slippers’ CCM/AOS (one fan, one rhizome coming out that should form a start soon) and a Ludisia discolor var. alba. (I will be scouting bonsai dishes for a suitable home for the mexi.)

It goes without saying that she had many well-grown plants both for sale and in her personal collection. I exercised restraint because I live nearby and I have some really incredible paphs coming this week or next in the way of a trade. Also, I felt silly adding more second generation parvi hybrids (my personal weakness after the species) when I have a tray of other potential beauties coming along—next time maybe (after I’ve bloomed some of the others out).

It’s an experience I would highly recommend though; as Heather mentioned, Marilyn is truly pleasant. And Leo, if you happen to read this, she wouldn’t let us leave without showing us your dog (er, Warg?) in your minivan—beautiful, and awfully friendly-looking despite the size! It was a pleasure to meet you as well and I hope you had a fine time filling up that box!

Hey Robin, It was good to meet you! I had let the dog loose when I first pulled up, but I did not know if you were a dog person, so I put him back in the car. He was tired from running all weekend. Marilyn loves the dog, he only weighs 125 lbs, we joke that he is an orchid guard dog. I know the only thing he guards is his food bowl. So I keep his food bowl near the orchids.
I saw the plants you bought, great choices. Most people that drop in on Marilyn buy only one or two plants at a visit. It is only fanatics like myself that go crazy and buy two trays worth.
It was fun meeting you
Leo

I would have liked to pet that dog for sure! I have cats, but I like animals, period. And I can assure you I’m a fanatic in my own way. We live in a tiny, tiny one bedroom apartment—it’s already packed with plants, fans, humidifiers and art supplies. Thus, a little restraint is required.

Hmmm streetmorrisart, get a Mastiff? They're not like Great Danes and don't get all whipped up at the drop of a feather. They multi task because you can use them for footstools and they are great heaters on cold winter days. Perfect for an apartment situation and they like cats and are too sluggish to get up and chase them or gnaw on them unlike Great Danes that seem to love to chew on cats.

Why Leo, what kind of a dog do you have?

Hi Lauren
'The Beast' is 1/2 Malamute, and half something Gosh Aweful Big. Looks like Shepard x Malamute, but that had to be one big Shepard. The dame was only 80 pounds. Now that he is in his 'mature years" he is a nice low maintenance dog. He's good with the nieces and their kids, sheds enough to weave a rug and is hell with intruders, everything you need out of a dog.
Leo

I have seen some mutant male shepherds out there well over 100lbs so anything is possible. If your dog is good with kids, that is all anyone can wish for to me. Our dogs bark when people leave and run at them with kongs hanging out of their mouths as if to entice them to stay and play. Very fierce looking- not. Does that count for anything?

I want a dog, but I don’t want one at the expense of flat-faced cats—one of my top 3 joys in life…just something about the pets you grow up with. I remember my little blue Exotic Shorthair kitten patting at the friendship pin I had on my blue Nikes when I was 9 at a cat show in South Bend (she was too young to be brought into the show ring so we had to see her at the hotel) and being so happy to fork over the check I got from my grandma at Christmas that year to help buy her. Then there’s Gus, my big Persian who I got while I was in Ann Arbor (he just turned 12 on November, 13th), and my Exotic Shorthair, Vlad, who Gus patted at a picture of on my monitor before I committed to buying him! (Hasn’t done this to any others mind you.) A dog would be nice though. My husband grew up with Chow Chows and loves them the way I do Exotic Shorthairs and Persians. I’ve got a friend who rescues Mastiffs though and loves them a lot—obviously!

None of our dogs have ever been all that discriminating in their feline tastes. They'll gnaw on our animal shelter cats just as readily as they'd gnaw on your purebreds. I must admit the hairy ones that get gnawed on and slimed look much funnier than the short haired ones. I have a photo I'll try to find somewhere of our Chinchilla Persian after he was sufficiently slimed from being gnawed on and he looked pretty punk with his hair sticking up in all different directions.

I hope you realize our dogs don't ever hurt our cats. Why the cats allow the dogs to gnaw on their heads is beyond me. Maybe they think they are being groomed?

A dog that could paw through our records to check for CFA papers really would be something…I think I'd want that dog actually. These cats of mine would pack a knapsack full of Iams and trundle down the hall if they were ever slimed by anything though, as would I. I tried Iams back when I was little and it was gross so I'd probably be bringing some of those vile bratwursts we spoke of with me instead.

So I take it a slimy shoestring that goes flying through the air when one of them shakes their heads wouldn't thrill you? Sheesh, what's a little slime amongst friends... or family pets!

Latest posts

Back