hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased this from Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology in December of 2012 as a small seedling. I believe it was their second trip to the US. I also bought a flask from them at the same time and have one left that should bloom in about 2 years. This plant is a single growth with a leaf span of about 10 inches (25 cm) and is in a 5 inch plastic pot with Orchiata. The flower has a natural spread of 15.5 cm and the dorsal has a width of 5.5 cm. The flower is typical, but a little floppy. What catches my eye is how large it is with respect to the size of the plant.
hangianum.jpg
I am going to use the pollen on this Ho Chi Minh. The HCM is an excellent flower, but it is extremely short lived. I hope to see about the same color and size, but with longer life. The risk is that the floppy shape will come through too. Hopefully, I won't have to wait 10 years to see the results. Mike
Ho Chi Minh.jpg

They are both gorgeous flowers!

I especially love the hangianum - the petals might be slightly floppy (but isn't that typical for this species?), the stance of the sepal and synsepal looks eminent! I can't wait for my own from the same source to bloom!

Last edited:
I love pretty much every hangianum I've ever seen. And I love the floppiness of many clones. I think the ones with super flat petals are actually the boring ones (still love them though). I like how much red pigmentation there is on the petals of your plant's flower.

Excellent flowers. Should have very nice offsprings.
But the hang plant is such a pretty well grown plant. I would like to see how this continue to add more growth.

That's a good bloom on a small hangianum. They are slow growing for me and I've only seen them bloom on plants with BIG leaves. I remember when they were illegal and some people grabbed up all from a vendor at the Florida WOC! Good luck with the cross. I've said it before but the HCM are all short lived because of the shtty plant that USFWS let Bob grow.

Congrats, Mike!
Both are nice, but that HCM is just great!!
Hopefully something great will come out of this. I've seen some flowers of hangianum x vietnamense and most had nice dark pink flower but the shape was floppy. I'm sure a few will turn out really good, though!

Wish you the best of luck! I will take some seedlings if you end up with high germination.

Both are lovely flowers and good luck with the cross. As Eric wrote, the size of the P. hangianum flower compared with the size of the plant is 'big'. What about the scent of hangianum? You didn't mention it and nobody else was asking for it. But I do.

Both are lovely flowers and good luck with the cross. As Eric wrote, the size of the P. hangianum flower compared with the size of the plant is 'big'. What about the scent of hangianum? You didn't mention it and nobody else was asking for it. But I do.
I had not thought to check for any scent. It is faint and my first thought was of lemon or citrus, but I believe it is more medicinal in nature. It is an interesting smell and it seems to be a little stronger at the back of the flower. Mike

First hangianum I bloomed years ago was a 7.5" flower blooming in a 4" pot. Made me think of 'Audrey' in Little Shop Of Horrors. :)

BTW - the first hangianums available in the US were huge flowers with average to mediocre shape. Recent hangianums have better shape but smaller size IMO.

That's a good bloom on a small hangianum. They are slow growing for me and I've only seen them bloom on plants with BIG leaves. I remember when they were illegal and some people grabbed up all from a vendor at the Florida WOC! Good luck with the cross. I've said it before but the HCM are all short lived because of the shtty plant that USFWS let Bob grow.
I’m interested in hearing more about this. What happened?

Latest posts

Back