Hangianum pod maturity time?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paph is ready from 180 to 440 days. That doesn't help much so you can either wait for a colour change (usually a slight yellowing along the ribs) or if it's been on more than 5 months take it now. I have read that after a certain time, Paph pods do not really develop more but just sit there.

I had an emersonii pod go for 7 months (~215 days), which is close to the other parvis I've made such as a handful of delenatii capsules that all came in at 6-7months . That's about middle of the road for most of the stuff I've produced.

I know that's not hangianum but probably close enough.

Compared to vandaceous seed capsules, paph capsules are pretty slow to turn yellow dry, and split. And they don't explode. So as Mike suggested you get lots of heads up on paph capsules generally so if you aren't planning on a long vacation you should be home to see it turn.

I think the debate on too soon versus waiting may have more to do if your flasker is a green capper or dry seed kind of person.

The embryos may be fully developed at 5 or so months (even for a species that may normally take a year and a half to mature), but whether or not they will be mores susceptible to contaminating disease or withstand the sterilization process is debatable for early harvest seeds. I haven't seen any good info on this so can't say if this is any more than speculation. Seems like germination and contamination rates are all over the board at any single operation for both green and dry harvest caps.

Latest posts

Back