Halloween Orchid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This morning I noticed a cool orchid in bloom here in the greenhouse that I have never seen bloom before. It reminded me of some creepy insect/centipede with legs that was about ready to jump on you. The flowers are pretty big; about 4 inches across, and 7 inches from side to side.

The name of the species is Aeranthes henricii. It is native to Madagascar.

Aer4.jpg

Aerhen1.jpg

Ae1.jpg

Aerh3.jpg

Enjoy and Happy Halloween!

No unfortunately we do not have any for sale yet, but I will make a sib cross, as there is another plant coming into bloom; so hopefully we will have some babies in the future.

Robert

So very fitting, that for Halloween, you trick us with a photo of a cool plant we can't have yet.

:)

Yep it was a trick....., but in a few years from now it will be a treat.....

Robert

I am not sure, I am guessing it does....I guess I will have to stay overnight here to smell it....

Robert

Does anyone else see a green moth shape in the lip of this orchid? Would it be a stretch to think this plant might be pollenated when a moth tries to land on/mate with what it thinks is another moth? Totally talking out of my range of knowledge here.

In this photo the shape is most obvious to me...

Aerh3.jpg

Yes from that picture the lip does resemble a green moth but my guess would be that the moth would go more after the nectar in the spur. I am guessing the moth that pollinated this flower has a very long proboscis (tong) that will fit in the long spur. I am not sure if this orchid has nectar there or not, sometimes orchid flowers mimic other flowers and fool the insect in thinking it has food, but at the same time the insect will still pollinate the flower. Most of these white/green Aeranthes/Angraecum species are moth pollinated and have white or green flowers that are fragrant at night to attract their pollinators. I don't think their lips are supposed to resemble the pollinator.

Robert

PHRAG said:
So it's just a really well shaped landing pad. :)

Yup! It really fits the bill of being moth pollinated.

1. strong scent (I'm guessing)
2. long nectary
3. white (moths tend to be nocturnal)

Think about virtually all Angraecums, Florida's ghost orchid, etc.

I am working on it secretly. Better to be thought crazy, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

:crazy:

Latest posts

Back