Habernaria radiata babies

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bcostello

Got these bulbs this spring. There is a fourth one not quite visual yet. Hope I can get them to bloom.

IMG_2959.jpg

I am growing them in a modified Aussie Gold mix. I took out the diatomite and added a little perlite.

I almost killed all my phals with that Aussie Gold. They stayed too wet, even tho they advertise that you can't overwater with it. I took the phals out of the A.G. and now they're recovering.

Habenaria update

The radiata plants don't look the greatest, but the blooms are just beginning to open.

and here's Habenaria rhodocheila I received from TOF in June. They grew the plant and I grew the spike.

The radiata look fine, just small. I highly recommend removing them from the growing mix this fall and storing the new tubers in some slightly moist vermiculite (or the like) in a freezer bag. If you leave them in the pot they stand a good chance of rotting over winter.

Nice rhodochelia too!

The radiata look fine, just small. I highly recommend removing them from the growing mix this fall and storing the new tubers in some slightly moist vermiculite (or the like) in a freezer bag. If you leave them in the pot they stand a good chance of rotting over winter.

Nice rhodochelia too!

What is your recommendation on the rhodocheila? Tropical Orchid Farm say to keep them in the pot and no water after the foliage dies. Then rest in the pots until late Feb. or early March.

What is your recommendation on the rhodocheila? Tropical Orchid Farm say to keep them in the pot and no water after the foliage dies. Then rest in the pots until late Feb. or early March.

Yes, you that is fine with the tropical species since they shouldn't get a cooling period. The P. radiata however needs a significant cold rest (about 5 months) and during that time they easily rot. Good luck with them all.

Tom

Latest posts

Back