Habeneria rhodocheila

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Barry

Reaction score
Habeneria rhodocheila, a terrestrial or lithophytic orchid from Southwest Asia.
A first-time blooming for me. Got it last year from Tropical Orchid Farm.

Habeneriarhodochila11.jpg

Regards,
Rick

Habeneria rhodocheila, a terrestrial or lithophytic orchid from Southwest Asia.
A first-time blooming for me. Got it last year from Tropical Orchid Farm.

Habeneriarhodochila11.jpg

Regards,
Rick

very nice, I remember peoples in Vietnam call this color Brigitte Bardot Pink
(I think it is the color of her lipstick)

At Chicagoland Growers Festival, Windsong had what I would bet, was these. There was not a tag or sign but they sure were cute!

Very beautiful!!! What do you grow them in? Any specific tips for growing? Good work!!! :)

Thanks for the comments. I grew the plant outdoors standing in a tray of RO water under Cattleya-type light. I fed it very lightly. Recently I discovered that Charlie Baker says it doesn't like to be soggy, but purely out of ignorance I kept it almost saturated and it seemed to thrive. Maybe it was just dumb luck, but if you grow high humidity plants outdoors in California, you must make adjustments.

The medium is basically your standard potting soil, like you would use for typical house plants. I think it would take to SH without any problem, though perhaps a fine grade of medium would be appropriate.

When the foliage started to die back at the onset of winter last year I allowed it to dry out completely until the new growths began to poke through the medium in the spring. From what I've heard they will rot if you keep them wet during their period of dormancy.

Blooming one plant hardly makes me an expert, but that's what worked for me.

Regards,
Rick

P.S. It's from Southeast Asia, not Southwest.

Latest posts

Back