Habenaria radiata UPDATE 9/26/06

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a photo of variegated habenaria, but I can't seem to find it now. It looked similiar to the variegated Neofinetia plants, with marginal white coloring. Pretty cool looking.

The blooms are lasting alot longer this time. As long as you don't touch the bloom, they seem to keep growing. I have had dime sized blooms grow into quarter sized blooms over the course of a week. I don't smell any fragrance though.

I am not going to repot them at the end of the growing season. I am going to leave them in the plastic pot and place them in the refrigerator for three months starting in Dec. Same thing with my Poneorchis tubers. I will probably repot them after next years growth.

PHRAG said:
I used to have a photo of variegated habenaria, but I can't seem to find it now. It looked similiar to the variegated Neofinetia plants, with marginal white coloring.

So is it the leaves that have marginal colouring? Are the flowers the same as on usual plant?

Do you mind if I ask you couple more question? I don't want to kill this rare plant...
Do you keep the soil moist all the time or you let it dry out sometimes? Is there any standing water at the bottom of your S/H pot?

The leaves were the only thing different on the variegated plants I saw. The flowers looked exactly the same. Tom Velardi grows these, but he doesn't want to join this forum and I lost his email address.

I don't let the soil dry out on mine at all. I have mine sitting in a sunny, south facing windowsill, and I am watering twice a week. The S/H pot has water in the reservoir as well.

I found this page which has some good information on Habenaria, and many other Japanese species...

http://homepage3.nifty.com/plantsandjapan/page043.html

Latest posts

Back