Habenaria radiata 2008!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone ordering from the link I provided, I forgot to mention something. Von Bourgondien is a seasonal nursery, so the plants you order won't ship until mid February according to their site. Which is fine, because that is just about time to plant them if you grow indoors, or can start plants under lights. I just wanted to throw that out there. I just read that when I realized my credit card had not been charged for my order yet.

Again - this has been very valuable! Thank you for your thoughts and info, John (Phrag) and Kyushu!

I am also new to growing some of the Japanese plants due to a change in my conditions - cold and damp but bright (in winter, really 3 seasons here in Mass) sunny outside in summer.

I am drinking up the info! Thank you!

A late response but I have been growing these for some years. I tried them originally in an artificial bog that my Calopogons love and Pogonias tolerate. The radiata did well there during the summer but died with no tuber replacement by fall. I did this for two years. I then moved to a semi-hydro system with a mixture of Soil Perfector with a bit of peat-containing soil mixed in the top half and they have done well, producing more each year.

I have had the experience of obtaining poor tubers from vB in the past - they seem to store theirs too dry as unlike some other tubers, Calopogon and Ponerorchis for example, these dry out very quickly so I store them in very slightly moist vermiculite in a freezer bag in the refrigerator.

Ron

Siskiyou Nursery in Oregon used to sell Poneorchis graminifolia. I tried it once...lived for 2-3 seasons, even bloomed once, but then it died. Take care, Eric

Hi, Heather,

My Ponerorchis came from a grower a few years ago. I know that Paul Christian Rare Plants has some this year.

Mine have done very well. They were very tiny tubers the first year but bloomed well - I have white, dark pink, and light pink. The tubers are now very large. I grow them in "Cypripedium medium" that contains about 20% potting soil as well. They grow very well in it. In the fall I dig them out and store them in dry vermiculite over the winter.

I should do the "Calopogon cut" on them and see if each tuber makes two. The tubers are probably 4 times the size they were when they first bloomed.

Ron

Back