Habenaria medusae x sib

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Marlow orchids

A5BCA964-A373-4265-9B05-2E62BB483AF0.jpeg
I’ve kept it alive through two winters and seasons, but can’t find the right moisture balance when it’s actively growing. Almost rotted the new growth having it too wet in an ebb/flood trough so took it out and then gets a bit too dry. But the buds are still forming so will try to watch better.

From Marlow orchids

View attachment 22239
I’ve kept it alive through two winters and seasons, but can’t find the right moisture balance when it’s actively growing. Almost rotted the new growth having it too wet in an ebb/flood trough so took it out and then gets a bit too dry. But the buds are still forming so will try to watch better.
Hi! I have some experience growing this species. What I have found is that they need a lot of regular watering once Summer arrives and not too high a level of light: no direct sun. The leaf tips tend to dry out if you miss even one watering when temperatures are warm and they benefit from some ventilation. They will not rot if they are well-drained and have some ventilation and tend to put out extra growths every year. One problem is that the plants in smaller pots must be staked once in flower or they tend to fall over from the weight and lack of perfect centering of the flower stalks. As for fertilizer, they need only a little, maybe one quarter strength dose once in three weeks. Otherwise they are easy growers so long as you observe the dry rest period: in my case this is normally from late October to mid February. By Valentine's day it is normally o.k. to start watering again although not often at first. When actively growing they must be kept moist. Hope this is of some use.

Latest posts

Back