H2O2 flasking

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this? Found a reference to it in a mycology book of all places, giving the credit to orchid breeders.

Vaguely remember something about it from 30 years ago... Anybody still using peroxide? Seems like it might be good for delicate seed.

I used it last year to sterilize a green pod. I have used it before on seed as well and it worked well. 10 to 15 min in 3% H2O2 if memory serves. I have sadly misplaced my note book so I cant tell you how much I used for seed but I used that concentration for a green pod last year.

Last edited:
Rob, I’d be careful using drugstore hydrogen peroxide on “delicate” seed.

That 3% stuff is barely stabilized using stannous chloride, so upon contact with anything organic or metal, it embarks on a strong, cascading decomposition process, release all of its energy pretty much at once.

I’d think the peroxyacetic acid stabilized stuff from BioSafe Systems, which is only a few percent of the drugstore concentration level when properly diluted, would be a better bet. With that stabilizer, it remains chemically active until it’s dry, remaining an excellent, but much safer disinfectant, the entire time.

I use H²O² at 3% with the smallest bit of dish detergent for Cattleyas just because I do dry pod as to not transfer virus to the offspring. And so I do not have to go through the hassle of washing the bleach off the seeds.
-Patrick

Rob, I’d be careful using drugstore hydrogen peroxide on “delicate” seed.

That 3% stuff is barely stabilized using stannous chloride, so upon contact with anything organic or metal, it embarks on a strong, cascading decomposition process, release all of its energy pretty much at once.

I’d think the peroxyacetic acid stabilized stuff from BioSafe Systems, which is only a few percent of the drugstore concentration level when properly diluted, would be a better bet. With that stabilizer, it remains chemically active until it’s dry, remaining an excellent, but much safer disinfectant, the entire time.
you have a link to that?

I use 3% to flush everything when I transfer sterilized stem props to tubes with medium. In this case, I work in open air with the tubes inverted. Much too complicated to explain in a few paragraphs. Let me just say it requires nimble fingers. I also use 3% to sterilize the inside of my glovebox when I am working with green pods. I usually use bleach + soap for the pod initially, then rinse with 3% before transferring to the glovebox. A lot of oxygen is liberated, which I see as a good thing for the exterior of the seed pod. All tools are in a 3% bath in the glovebox. Works well for catts, phals and paphs. Contamination is rare. The open air work with phal stems has about 10% contamination, but it is quick and dirty, and I can afford the loss. Mike

So, Ray, what do you think about ammonium peroxydisulfate? Asking because I have some (and it's gangbusters for killing poison ivy).

you have a link to that?
BioSafe Systems – Simply Sustainable. Always Effective.. I suggest you contact them directly. A long time ago, when I carried their products, they were limited to only a few. Now they have many variations targeting different applications, so could probably advise you which one is closest to their old Zero-tol.
So, Ray, what do you think about ammonium peroxydisulfate? Asking because I have some (and it's gangbusters for killing poison ivy).
I think I’d be afraid of using a herbicide as a disinfectant, but I honestly don’t know enough about it’s action to say, one way or another.

Latest posts

Back