Guessing Game

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

IdahoOrchid

Howdy,

This plant was included as an extra in a package I received recently. The name of the plant is in question so I will not mention the vendor or the name that was on the plant. I will say it is tagged as a primary hybrid though.

What do YOU think it may be? (if you have seen this flower in my other thread please be discreet in your responses)

Attachments

• Guess again.jpg
    Guess again.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 103
Jon in SW Ohio said:
If the file's name is the supposed hybrid name...I'm pretty confident that's not it.

Looks like barbigerum x charlesworthii to me.

Jon

Ah, I messed up and you "peaked" at the name.

Heather said:
Agree with Jon. 'barbi' x 'charles'.

Oh, there is only one thing that could be worse that 'barbi' and that is BAMBI!!!!

BLECH!!!

Off to do a search.....

Your plant has a much darker, charlesworthii colored dorsal, Steven. Here's pictures of a couple I have.

Paphbarbigerumxcharleworthii3-1.jpg

Paphbarbigerumxcharleworthii1-1.jpg

I have gotten an email from the vendor and he tells me that the tag is indeed incorrect. Still no hints on what the plant may actually be. He has invited me to call him and discuss the matter.

Keep the guesses coming. Yes, Eric, even you.:poke:

MYSTERY SOLVED!!!

This orchid is charlesworthii x Via Avila Beach
....Hellas x Avine = Via Avila Beach

Boy, were WE way off!!!

Well, Eric, do you know Adam still?

No way.

Doesn't even look a little bit like a novelty hybrid.... and I find it hard to believe that the dorsal ended up smaller than either of the parents, and the petals narrower, etc.....

Or perhaps I'm just having a hard time admitting I was wrong :)

- Matt

IdahoOrchid said:
MYSTERY SOLVED!!!

This orchid is charlesworthii x Via Avila Beach
....Hellas x Avine = Via Avila Beach

Well, Eric, do you know Adam still?
Nope. still don't know him. If the pouch isn't pinkish or pubescent i'm not really into it. Call me kinky, whatever...:drool:

gore42 said:
No way.

Doesn't even look a little bit like a novelty hybrid.... and I find it hard to believe that the dorsal ended up smaller than either of the parents, and the petals narrower, etc.....

Or perhaps I'm just having a hard time admitting I was wrong :)

- Matt
This is the only picture I could find of the Via Avila Beach flower. Could charlesworthii alter the shape THAT much? The colors certainly match well enough.

Attachments

• ViaAvilaBeachEM.jpg
    ViaAvilaBeachEM.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 13
Back