Guess The Primary #3

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Here is a new one for you to guess; what are the two parent species of this hybird?

kalsand.jpg

Robert

I will agree with Zach, adductum x chamberlainianum!

The golden background color of the dorsal seems like an adductum kind of thing. And the other parent is def. a sequential. I would guess chamberlainianum because of the heavy blotches on the petals and the subtly spotted lip.

--Stephen

Im with Zach the staminoide, pouch and petals scream chamberlainianum and the darkness from adductum. I love this hybrid! Thanks for the pic Doc :)

OK here it is:

Some of you were very close, but the two parents were:

Paph kalinae (also known as Paph. victoria-reginae var. kalinae or Paph. chamberlainianum var. sumatra) and Paph. sanderianum. The darker colors come from Paph. kalinae; that is why some of you were confused and thought that Paph. adductum was one of the parents.

To me Paph. kalinae is very distinct and should be considered as a separate species (compared to Paph chamberlainiaum); as you can see the hybrid made with this species looks different than when you compare it to Paph. chamberlainianum x Paph. sanderianum. Guido Braem thinks it is a distinct species too. The orchid registrar has accepted this entity to be different from Paph. victoria-reginae (they consider Paph. chamberlainianum as Paph. victoria-reginae) for registration purposes, but they still have to decide if it will be accepted as a different species or as a different sub-species. For know it has the hybrid name of Paph. Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Robert

I actually met Guido right after he separated kalinae, and when he saw Tom's in bloom (originally from Rands), he highly recommended taking it to a judging. With his written positive ID, the plant was awarded Paph. kalinae 'Ramona Cox' HCC/CHM/AOS and the award photo is the photo used in his newest book. The plant later almost died, but luckily didn't and Tom and I both have a single growth piece of it.

It is easily my favorite cochlopetalum.

Jon
________
Chrysler-plymouth specifications

Last edited:
Back