Guess The Primary #3

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

OK I have a new primary cross for you guys to guess:

WetlzBallad.jpg

I saw a slide of this primary cross duiring a talk I went to a few years ago. I thought it was so cool that I had to remake the cross. The first one from this cross bloomed this weekend. I will post the answer in a few days.

Robert

I really can't figure out the parents of this one - I can see cochlopetalum and that's about it-

bellatulum x moquettianum (Charles Sladden). Or close.

It is a hard cross though... A lot of those are going to seriously suck. And a few will be amazing, so it is worth it.

I never guess at these because I am not very good at them, but I am going to give this a try.

I guess bellatulum x henryanum.

You guys are on the right track with one of the parents......but you haven't guessed the other one yet.

Here is another picture (taken from the side).

WltzBld.jpg

Robert

My guess would be adductum x bellatulum, or supardii x bellatulum.
color is great, form is a little bit open & twisted, it may straighten out on subsequent bloomings.

I agree with Leo on the first one. Dark color, downswept petals, lots of multilfloral influence all of which I could only see coming from adductum or anitum (which I doubt you breed with). The only brachy that dark would have to be bellatulum.

Jon
________
Hofmeister Kink

Last edited:
the red overlay probably from bellatulum

the base green colour makes me think adductum... (only because, the roths would probably have dorsal more horizontal, and philippinense would have a browner pouch.

so,

bellatulum x adductum

Gordon currently has a Charles Sladden in flower so I can say that, yes, this flower looks similar. It was my first "off the cuff" guess - not too confident on guessing the proper parentage of this one though.

The earlier guess of Paph Paris sounds close when I think on the side profile shot.

Cheers
Stephan

OK here is the answer:

Paph. Weltz Ballad (Paph. adductum x Paph. bellatulum)

:clap: :clap: to many people who guessed the right cross.

Would you guys like me to post some more primary crosses for you to guess?
I can even make it more difficult and post a picture of a cross between two primaries and make you guess the 4 parents that were involved in the cross.

Robert

Latest posts

Back