Guess the plant (non-orchid)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

E

Ernie

Anyone have a guess what this leaf goes to? :evil: It grows great here!

E

Ernie

Oh man. That was too quick. Had at least one person going though! :) Tom wins the prize- Hibiscus coccineus. It is also known as water hibiscus. I grow it in a bog behind our small pond- very wet, very bright, very fertilized. It is one of my favorite non-orchids in our landscape. It gets HUGE (dinner plate size), glossy crimson flowers that last only a day. Looks sorta like this...

By corydors at 2011-06-06

Last year, the plant was only about 4 feet tall. In fall, it died back to a couple woody sticks and came back strong in March with double the number of main "trunks". It is now over six feet tall.

Got it at a local nursery (Lukas, Oviedo, FL). Several pond stores offer them online, although most say they only get 3 feet tall. Supposed to be hardy in zones 5-12. I highly recommend this plant!!!

The bog is way overgrown with equisetum (horsetail rush), Colocasia Mojito, and Colocasia illustris to house any cp's though.

H

Hera

Just because a leaf is palmate and cutleaf, doesn't mean its smokable.....some people :poke:

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice! I had one of these growing on my bit of Florida swampland many, many, many moons ago. I loved it!

Rick

Reaction score
That's a different leaf from most of the other (though limited) hybiscus species I've seen. Most are closer to Maple like, or even less palmate than this species.

Very cool.

goods

Reaction score
Ernie have you seen the alba variety? It's a pure white with lighter colored leaves and stem.It's just as stunning as this one.

Actually I've heard stories about people who tried to smoke this particular species. A quick trip to the hospital along with a swollen, burning mouth... Let's just say I think they learned their lesson.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Actually I've heard stories about people who tried to smoke this particular species. A quick trip to the hospital along with a swollen, burning mouth... Let's just say I think they learned their lesson.
I think the next line is, "and god wept..."

I doubt they learned their lesson. I remember back in '96 when I was walking the Appalachian Trail, there were 2 young pot heads who had run out of their most recent score (a tough thing to do in the backwoods of Maine if you don't have a car). I came upon them smoking something. As I approached one asked, "hey man, is this catnip, I think it's catnip. It tastes good." I recommended that after finishing that he should proceed to try various things just for the hell of it. "Go for it man, smoke the woods." Last time I saw him he was still alive.

E

Ernie

I learned to use a smokes roller on dry roasted peanut halves of all things. :) Worked pretty well. Not enough air got through and it just sorta smoked a lot. Maybe if they were crushed???

Anyway, GOTTA FIND AN ALBINO Water Hibiscus!! The gotta expand the bog!!! (or learn to prune them down w/o losing buds)

Latest posts