Guess the 'near' primary hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddybear

Awarded Stud
Reaction score
My turn to get into the fun. Mine will be a little more challenging. I took this picture at the Montreal Botanical Garden. It is a cross between 2 primary hybrids. Can you guess the 4 species used. :evil:

PaphFrauldaBrandt.jpg

That's two down! Indeed superbiens is another of the parents. To help narrow it down, one of the parents in this cross is Paph. Youngianum...superbiens X philippenense. The other primary parent might not be as obvious!

Paphioboy already suggested sukhakulii and earned no response, so I assume it has argus in it for the spots.
Something in the pattern of the dorsal tells me there might be a cochlopetalum parent in it, maybe glaucophyllum?

Frau Ida Brandt (Io x Youngianum)

Io = (lawrenceanum x argus)
and Youngianum was mentioned above.

Frau Ida Brandt is a famous old cross from 1895 and there is at least one clone that survived into the present. Makes sense that a botanic garden would have it.
Leo

Right on Leo! :clap: I must say I was rather taken with this oldie but goodie. I've never seen it for sale...I have no idea how long the Montreal Botanical garden has had it in their collection. You guys are good!

Well done, Leo!

Mrs. Brandt crossed my mind when I read Youngianum (of course :wink: ), but the ones I've seen were a bit darker than this one. More like the "Free-for-all AM/AOS" cultivar thas has a photo on the web somewhere.

I know of at least one vendor in Europe who still sells this cross, and I've seen the cultivar "Fredensborg" at shows a couple of times. Very enjoyable every time.

Thanks for the pic and the contest, Todd!

Best, Carsten

Latest posts

Back