Guess the cross

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio-guy

Reaction score
This is a cross of a primary back to one of the parent species....a nice tiny "teacup"phrag.
It is in a 2" pot, plant about 6" tall

P1120101.jpg

P1170120.jpg

by throwing enough guesses out , it seems Eric has found the parents, but not in the right combination.
This is a really tiny plant, so some of the parents suggested don't make good sense to me, but it is a first bloom seedling.

It seemed to grow more golden toned as it ages. It has held its first bloom for over a month now.

( edit.....NYEric has put out 8 possible parents so far.....2 are correct, but he hasn't linked them correctly)

Last edited:
by throwing enough guesses out , it seems Eric has found the parents, but not in the right combination..
:confused:OK .... well ....what is the right combination ... or are we suppose to keep quessing?

OK, now I'm confused, Phrag Patti MacHale is pearcei x sargentianum and crossing it back onto sargentianum I find this result not what I would expect by a long shot.
Join the rest of us! I'm so glad you're confused by this, it's makin' me feel better!

I didn't say it was a Patti MacHale cross (it is not), and the back cross, if it were could have been back to pearcei ( which would make more sense as then it would be 3/4 of a smallish progenitor)

What I said (or meant to say....sorry for the confusion) was that NYEric had managed to guess the right parents in his list of possibilities, but did not put the right 2 together!

Kevin got it right!
[Franz Glanz=(richteri x besseae)] x richteri.....making it 3/4's richteri and 1/4 besseae
The besseae color sure washed out, but it has nice size for a tiny plant. I think I have one more of this cross so it will be interesting to see what that one blooms out as too.

That was my second guess. From what I have seen, besseae can be recessive in color depending on what it is used with or the besseae has an alba or flavum gene in it that comes out in certain crosses.

Actually it even could have been a cross w/out besseae i.e. (Patti MacHale = pearcei x sargentianum)x pearcei but the size was an issue. Is it named yet and who produced it?
Hmmm, do I have one!? :rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back