Growing under VHO lights

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jim Toomey

Hey all,
I want to grow my slippers under VHO lights.
I was into reef tanks until the hurricanes destroyed many years of coral growth.

Anyway I have a bunch of Icecap VHO ballasts and want to use them to give my slippers excellent quality light.
I'm not sure which bulb to get as they have several types.
I'm looking at the Aquasun version (see below for some info).
Anyone have any luck growing under VHO?
Thanks AHAB

Aquasun

"The URI Aquasun (10K) is a technologically advanced aquarium lamp containing a mixture of unique triband phosphors. 180º internal reflector allows 40% more light output. Excellent for all marine applications, hard coral, plants, fresh water, and salt water tanks.
GO TO: 60 inch and 72 inch lamp ordering page
Features:
10K Spectrum
180 degree internal reflector "

VHO bulbs are great but you need a bulb or combination of bulbs that will give a color temperature somewhere in the area of 4000-6000 K. 10K has very little red which water plants and corals don't necessarily receive (it's filtered out very quickly).

Ken Brewer

Ken is right, Paph's need at least 4000 to 6000K. I use daylight bulbs rated 5000K and they work fine. Jim.

I would balance the coral bulbs with the kind used for growing plants in freshwater tanks...not sure of their Kelvin rating, but the are much redder in their spectrum than marine bulbs. Take care, Eric

Hey all,
Thank you for the replies, can you recommend any plant VHO bulbs?

It has been a while since I've looked into VHO and naturally gravitated to the "coral" bulbs.

I would much rather use a plant rated VHO bulb, I just don't know where to start.
Thanks again,
AHAB

Latest posts

Back