Growing under lights

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticshaun

Reaction score
I've been growing orchids for about 8 years now. I now have about 100 plants of various genera growing under fluorescent lights (many are still seedlings).
Of these 17 are Paphs and 1 is a Phrag. Here are my slippers:
Paphiopedilum armeniacum
P. Booth's Saint-Adductum
P. Flame Arrow x Shadow Magic
P. insigne
P. kolopakingii 'Joan' x Bengal Lancers 'Aggie'
P. malipoense
P. Patsey Boersma
P. Pinocchio x bellatulum
P. Prince Edward of York
P. Raisin Eyes 'Rose Leopard' x Maudiae 'Los Osos'
P. rothschildianum
P. Simaril x Key Lime
P. St. Armel x3
P. White Knight x Ang Thong
Phragmipedilum Chuck Acker

Shaun

A picture of my grow show. It's gotten a little crowded.

100_5142.jpg

Shaun

Yep, that's one my Pings in the front. I bought one to help control fungus gnats (repotting and more inorganic media works better) but I found that I liked the growth habit and flowers so I keep a few around.
The 70 gal tank used to be my primary grow area but I now use it to keep up the humidity for some seedlngs and divisions. I would like to see it evolve into a cooler growing area as it has an intake on the side and I have access to lots of cool/cold/frosty air from outside. I used to use strictly 4' fluorescents but started adding 45 W CFL's which has really helped some of my higher light plants. Right now I'm running 4 dual 4' fixtures and 3 45W CFL's. The only plants that see any sunlight are those that I bring upstairs for my wife to display while in bloom.
I think my most perverse growing attempt so far is Vanda Motes Indigo which probably feels like it is in some dim frozen version of hell, I keep promising it a greenhouse :) .

Shaun

arcticshaun said:
I think my most perverse growing attempt so far is Vanda Motes Indigo which probably feels like it is in some dim frozen version of hell, I keep promising it a greenhouse :) .

Shaun

LOL I love you description! That is one crowded grow area!

Back