Growing PHRAGS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DenmanNJ

Hi -
I just acquired a Phrag Mary Bess and will be getting a Paph praestans. I plan on growing both on my windowsill. How easily will this be ? They will be in a West-SW exposure with afternoon/late afternoon sunshine and warmth.
Anyone got any pointers for me ?

Phrag. praestans does not exist, I think it is Paph. praestans that you mean?

Phrag. praestans does not exist, I think it is Paph. praestans that you mean?

:poke: Did someone forgot to put his glasses on? Reread

WELCOME to the forum! Sometimes we get a little anxious to help!
I would think both should do fine. The phrag might be happier in cooler conditions & lower light, the leaves will tell.

Are these your first orchids?

Phrags (with a few exceptions) generally like more water than Paphs, and many of the species grow in bogs and seeps. So they are difficult to over water, and you can usually leave them in a tray of water.

Paphs are generally not found with constant water at the roots but do like evenly moist (but not saturated) conditions in the pot with lots of aeration.

Re: Followup to PHRAGS

Hi -
Many thanks, yes indeed I did type the word correctly "PAPH PRAESTANS". LOL...
I'm more concerned about Temp and Light than I am about watering techniques. The room the orchids are in can get quite warm and get very intense sunlight....Will the Phrags be ok with that ????
Thanks

Many of my Phrags can enjoy some pretty bright light if kept cool. But the combination of light and heat is not good for most. Especially if they have besseae in them. If the plant starts bleaching or yellowing move it to a cooler/darker spot.

:poke: Did someone forgot to put his glasses on? Reread

WELCOME to the forum! Sometimes we get a little anxious to help!
I would think both should do fine. The phrag might be happier in cooler conditions & lower light, the leaves will tell.

Oh, I'm very sorry but I had just got up and was bit sleepy! :eek:

Mary Bess is the hybrid of besseae and caricinum. Phrag caricinum grows in fairly bright light (2400 ft candles) with summer temperatures in the mid-80s. Besseae grows a little cooler (upper 70's to 80) and with less light (1200 ft candles). So Mary Bess show be fine with temperatures in the low 80's and light at 1800 ft candles. If it is too bright/warm you can compensate by increasing air movement, increasing moisture and/or humidity or moving the plant away from the window. Light intensity drops off quickly as you move away from the window; 1 foot makes a huge difference.

Hi -
I'm more concerned about Temp and Light than I am about watering techniques. The room the orchids are in can get quite warm and get very intense sunlight....Will the Phrags be ok with that ????
Thanks
My Phrags are all growing in my basement under lights. During the daytime, it gets to about 75ºF or higher and at night it drops down to about 66ºF. That's probably warmer than most people grow Phrags. My besseaes are blooming, and I have or had spikes/blooms on just about everything that is blooming size. The lights are mostly T8 with some T12 fluorescent, and while they aren't as bright as sunlight, there are 14 2-bulb fixtures in a space that is approximately 9' x 15', so there is lots of ambient light. I think your plants should both do fine where you have them, and as others have noted: watch the leaves. I think humidity might be a factor here, though, or the lack thereof.

I grow my phrags in sunlit room conditions, southern exposure, little to no artificial light. Temps, daytime [who knows? I'm never home when the sun's out :confused:] night-pretty cool.

Back