Growing Outdoors In The Summertime

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dustywoman

This year, I tried something new with my paphs and phrags. I hung some 2x4's in the 'pine forest' in the back yard and hung the plants in baskets. It seems to have worked. The trees protected the plants from strong winds and gave them just the right amount of shade and light. Watering was taken care of (mostly) by courstey of Mother Nature who provided rainwater. (I had to water them a few times during dry spells.) It was a hot and humid Summer here. I didn't enjoy it, but the plants did!!!

woods2.jpg

The plants mostly grew. Not too many new buds or spikes, but I did get this one. It came from Sherwood Orchid's going out of business sale. It is (Pulsar x Black Cherry) x fairrieanum 'Super Red.' Should be interesting.

FairrieanumSuperRedcross1.jpg

AND I haven't had much luck getting my phrags to bloom, but here is a cross between Sorcerer's Apprentice and wallisii in spike. I hope it gets the long wallisii petals!!! Wooo Hoooo!

SorcerersApprenticexwallisii2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hi Susan. I think I remember you saying that your set-up was to help keep your plants from late frosts. It looks like that worked just fine! It is really a great idea.

Hi Everyone! It's great to be back not that the pace of life has slowed down a little. :)

Heather: are we still on for the Mass Show? It's in October, right?

Tadd: I absolutely loved North Carolina when I went there in June. I took a
course in Appalachian ballads at the John Campbell Folk School in
Brasstown. The mountains just blew me away. They are so beautiful!
I camped in the Great Smoky National Park. If I ever were to move
from Maine, I think NC would be my first choice.

Marco: Where on LI are you? I grew up in Islip and go back frequently so see
family & friends.

Slipper Fan: Yes, hanging the plants was a way to protect them from frost.
Also, I think that putting them in the woods gave them the
right amount of light and natural breezes. Also, the plants
were protected from strong winds, hail, thunderstorms, etc.
I only have to worry when there is a dry spell. I'll probably start
bringing the plants inside within 2 weeks. The leaves are starting
to turn here.

Rick: Hi!!! I just cut off a mature seed capsule from a henryanum.
Unfortunately, I cannot, for the life of me, find any records of the
cross. Did I use your pollen or did you use mine?? I'm so confused!!!

Good to be back!

dustywoman said:
Heather: are we still on for the Mass Show? It's in October, right?

Unfortunately I have to work the weekend, as we have a ton of events going on. There is a possibility I might be able to go Saturday, but I am going to help with setup and clerking Thursday and Friday, so I'll probably do the preview party (if I can afford a ticket this year!)

dustywoman said:
Rick: Hi!!! I just cut off a mature seed capsule from a henryanum.
Unfortunately, I cannot, for the life of me, find any records of the
cross. Did I use your pollen or did you use mine?? I'm so confused!!!

Good to be back!

I got pollen from you. In fact the seed has been at Troy's now for at least 3 or4 months (its overdue for germination:confused: )

I can't remember if I sent you any henryanum pollen. I think I sent some to Ross. I think you crossed two of your own plants.

Hi! Have not been here in a while due to my work. Great to see the site is still going strong.

Nice work Susan! They seems to be happy hangin' around! :)

Hey Susan, I live in Hicksville right behind Ikea. Islip is just a bit further out east from me. :) Maine is a fairly long ways from Islip.

Latest posts

Back