Growing Cyps since 1957

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see C. tibeticum being grown successfully in the heat and humidity of your area. If you don't mind, it would be interesting to know how you do it.
I obtained the plant from Hengduan Mountain Biotech as their "Select" offering. She has a very active breeding program, which I believe automatically selects for vigorous clones. Some of the plants are likely multi-generation in cultivation. That said, this species grows in my arborvitae bed, created by surrounding a row of arborvitae with a raised bed, amended with generous quantities of Turface and Espoma Soil Perfector. The plants receive good light as the arborvitae are pruned as trees rather than shrubs, but no direct sun. If they emerge, this will be their 3rd year, and I'll give a report then. A closely related hybrid, Cypripedium Henric (macranthos x tibeticum), is in its 5th year and has gone from 1 stem to 3.

Welcome, Clark. Glad to see you here.

A few years ago I acquired a couple of cyp hybrids. I planted them in LECA in clay pots that were sitting in trays of dilute fertilizer solution, and they did quite well outdoors in southeast PA.

I unpotted them and stored them I the fridge crisper drawer for the winter. I grew them for two summers with blooms and expansion each year. Then my wife “cleaned” the fridge, ending my cyp culture.

I obtained the plant from Hengduan Mountain Biotech as their "Select" offering. She has a very active breeding program, which I believe automatically selects for vigorous clones. Some of the plants are likely multi-generation in cultivation. That said, this species grows in my arborvitae bed, created by surrounding a row of arborvitae with a raised bed, amended with generous quantities of Turface and Espoma Soil Perfector. The plants receive good light as the arborvitae are pruned as trees rather than shrubs, but no direct sun. If they emerge, this will be their 3rd year, and I'll give a report then. A closely related hybrid, Cypripedium Henric (macranthos x tibeticum), is in its 5th year and has gone from 1 stem to 3.
Fantastic. I look forward to your update this spring. By the looks of the temperatures the Atlantic coast has been having, spring isn't that far away!

Here are two of my favorites, Cypripedium Christian and Cypripedium tibeticum.
I grow a couple of them in Levis, just outside of Quebec City, and that with relative success. I did buy a tibeticum and a flavum from Mrs Perner when she was last in Montreal. The following Spring, only the tibeticum flowered, and the following Spring, neither returned.View attachment Cyp tibeticum.JPG
I do grow very well, a kentuckiense and a parviflorum var. pubescens. View attachment DSC_0972.JPG
View attachment Cypparviflorum2022.3.JPG

Latest posts

Back