Greetings from WA!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor Gulick

Reaction score
I have been growing cymbidiums, phals, and cattleyas for a few years now, and I have decided to add one or more phrags to the collection. My ideal choice would be an FCC hybrid that is perhaps somewhat dated now and/or a smaller size in order to experience growing it to blooming size, e.g. Phrag. besseae 'Cow Hollow II' FCC/AOS. I am not interested in chasing the latest trends, but I do like the idea that someone else that knows way more than I do judged a plant to be exceptional at some point. Do you have any ideas on where to get phrags like this?

Last edited:
Bill Goldner of Woodstream Orchids often divides his awarded plants for a reasonable price. Two caveats, he’s a super busy guy so it might take a bit of time, and they are usually single growth divisions or one growth, plus a starter growth, so you might have to nurse it along for a new growth or two (or three) before it reaches its full potential.

P.S. IMHO - You might start with a nice hybrid or an easier species to grow, as Ms. Besse’s orchid can be a toughie.

Last edited:
Welcome from NYC. How big a plant do you want to end up with? Best hybrids I would say Orchids Limited. I know because I can't afford most of them.

I would prefer a more compact hybrid. I am not interested in blooming size plants, as I want to experience the challenges that are required to get there.

Then you will not see a lot of FCC hybrids. They tend to be big ad showy, plus Pk hybrids are large. The hybrids with fischeri tend to be small and there are some nice ones with potential for FCC.

Latest posts

Back