Greetings from South Africa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psygrant

Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for having me. This forum looks great so far.

I have a Phrag humboltii. Recently purchased and succumbed to what I believe to be brown rot. I have trimmed all infected leaves which turned out to be most of them and treated with a fungicide. There are a few good long healthy roots. I have it potted loosely in fine to med pine bark, pumice and quartz gravel blend. I was wondering if this will work to kickstart it or if anyone has any alternative suggestions from experience? Should I be spraying regularly or not as I believe these prefer to dry between watering. If so is fertiliser recommend?

Looking forward to learning from you all.

Howzit fellow Saffa

Your mix may be a little dry for phrags. Your mix is sounds by and large similar to my standard paph mix - I use bark, pumice and polystyrene beads - but it was to dry for my phrags in durbs. I added some coconut coir to retain moisture and they seem to be enjoying this wetter mix. A layer of small stone over the mix also helps retain moisture.

JL

Howzit fellow Saffa

Your mix may be a little dry for phrags. Your mix is sounds by and large similar to my standard paph mix - I use bark, pumice and polystyrene beads - but it was to dry for my phrags in durbs. I added some coconut coir to retain moisture and they seem to be enjoying this wetter mix. A layer of small stone over the mix also helps retain moisture.

JL
Thanks for the response. Nice to see fellow Saffas around :) I have added coconut chips in the past to create a more even moisture content throughout the pot, but I’m under the impression mine not be as fresh as it should be. I was using it in my blend for my Paphs and Phrags but some seemed to not be too happy with it. I believe the long petal Phrags prefer it on the dryer side hence the change. Suppose it depends on the climate? Will keep an eye on it. Admittedmy only been growing for about a year so still ironing out a lot of kinks. Hopefully it bounces back as I’d be sad to see it go 😩

may I ask where you source your coconut coir from?

Welcome from Italy!!!
I also had a look at coconut husk chips and what could be found around where I live and on the web too. The only good quality products are very expensive for the quantity you receive.
I decided to go simple with what it's easier to get and if the need Is to maintain more umidity around the roots then I add some fibrous peat moss or NZ sfagnum into the mix.

Welkom in New York!

You have a beautiful country. I spent some time in Namaqualand viewing the spring wildflowers.

I’d love to see some pictures of your native orchids.

Thanks all. Nice to know some of you have traveled here. Would love to travel more myself 😄

@RNCollins I’m planning to go hiking in hope to locate some as I believe there are areas not too far off from me. Will be sure to share pictures.

Latest posts

Back