Greetings from North Carolina

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickp

Reaction score
Hello. I just joined the forum, but I have been growing orchids for about 26 years. I recognize a few names here from the old Orchid List Digest and rec.gardens.orchids back in the 90s. Early on, I grew a lot of slippers under lights, but for the past ten or fifteen years my main focus has been on cattleya alliance species grown in a greenhouse. My interest in slippers was rekindled by Harold Koopowitz's new checklist of Paphiopedilum in Orchid Digest...well, that and the nasty infestation of boisduval scale that has wiped out many of my hard-pseudobulb orchids in the past few years. I noticed that the scale never touched my paphs, so...

I have bought a few new plants and have been busy repotting the old survivors in my collection. The dwarf Paph philippinense that I got from Ron Ciesinski (Taylor Orchids) in 1995 fell apart into about a dozen divisions, so maybe I'll have something to trade when they grow some new roots.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the forum and participating where I can.

Welcome, Nick.

What part of NC? We moved from Doylestown PA to Oak Island just over two years ago.

Send me a PM. I can help you with the root growth issue.

Ray: Orange County, near Hillsborough. You’re not far from the Green Swamp, I see. Have you been out looking for orchids?

Linus: I don’t think a road trip is in the cards for this month, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe next time.

Ray: Orange County, near Hillsborough. You’re not far from the Green Swamp, I see. Have you been out looking for orchids?

Not yet, but that's to come, for sure. I've driven through it several times, going to and from my daughter's place in Charlotte, and it does look like a great place for a hike.

Not yet, but that's to come, for sure. I've driven through it several times, going to and from my daughter's place in Charlotte, and it does look like a great place for a hike.

The Nature Conservancy Green Swamp Preserve is a great locality and an easy hike. There are also some good spots for Cleistes species in Croatan National Forest.

You’ll have to come inland for slippers, though.

Howdy neighbor. And welcome. That dwarf philippinense sounds wonderful hopefully you'll have some pics to share at some point and maybe pieces to donate to the Slippertalk auction in the spring.

Welcome from Wilmington, NC
Cape Fear Orchid Society

Charlie Barrett

Back