Greetings from a new kid on the block...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldenrose

Hi,
It was sunnier yesterday, so I took a bunch of pics, like I told you that I would. Nothing special...I don't have but a couple of orchids blooming now that are first time re-bloomers for me...one fading away, too. I had some first re-bloom Phals last fall and winter...and a few (very few) plants, other than Phals, that have rebloomed...that's about it. As you'll see,my camera wouldn't let me get closeups of the plants. Like I said, nothing much, just a new growers collection. Now, it's YOUR turn....I want to see YOUR greenhouse. Anyone else', too. (This may not be the correct forum for growing areas ? If not, I'm sorry. Just learning.
Vicki

:clap::clap: WELCOME VICKI!
I have a Sunglo GH, mine is 15 yrs. old! What size do you have? None of us can escape the heat this year, I love those small clip on fans, you can move the air in every nook & cranny!

Attachments

• gh 1.JPG
    gh 1.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 21
  • gh 2.JPG
    gh 2.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 16
  • gh 3.JPG
    gh 3.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 12
  • gh 4.JPG
    gh 4.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 13
  • gh 5.JPG
    gh 5.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 14
  • gh 6.JPG
    gh 6.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 14
  • gh 7.JPG
    gh 7.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 10
  • gh 8.JPG
    gh 8.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 12
JeanLux

Wow...some very nice growing areas....thanks for the link! Please let me know if there's another place I should have put my pictures instead of here.

Thanks....my Phals seem to be pretty happy. I've been upset about one this afternoon, though. I found that it had crown rot. The blooms are simple white, but they were nice large ones in the fall. I check each of my orchids every day, but this one slipped up on me somehow. It was one of my few Phals hanging in baskets. I poured hydrogen peroxide in the crown for just a few mins., then when it was dry, I poured cinnamon powder in the crown, as well. Hopefully that'll get it. ???? If you have other advice, I would appreciate knowing it, if you don't mind.

The brassavolas are nodosa. The mounted one seems to love it's cork mount! (pics...I should have cut the panty hose off way before now) I didn't buy it mounted, but it sure seems to be happy that way. I had understood that they are fragrant at night, but when it rebloomed, it wasn't. This was it's first rebloom, so maybe that's the reason????

I bet I have you beat as far as which of us has killed the most Catts. by overwatering! lol Sadly, I'm learning the hard way.

Thanks again for the link...I love growing area pics...
Vicki

ther are different threads here that show our ghs / growing areas! ex. => http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004, and others!

You have some good sized phals in there!!!
Is the mounted brassavola nodosa or a hybrid?

I personnally killed a lot of my catts in plastic pots by overwatering them!!!!

Jean

Attachments

• B. Little Stars 1.JPG
    B. Little Stars 1.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 6
  • B. Little Stars 2.JPG
    B. Little Stars 2.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 5
Wow...some very nice growing areas....thanks for the link! Please let me know if there's another place I should have put my pictures instead of here.

Thanks....my Phals seem to be pretty happy........then when it was dry, I poured cinnamon powder in the crown, as well. Hopefully that'll get it. ???? If you have other advice, I would appreciate knowing it, if you don't mind.

The brassavolas are nodosa. .. I had understood that they are fragrant at night, but when it rebloomed, it wasn't. This was it's first rebloom, so maybe that's the reason????

Thanks again for the link...I love growing area pics...
Vicki

You should take the time to leaf through the different sections to view the contents of each, so you get an idea where to place your threads! Most orchid pics are shown in the section Photographs: the slippers having a separate 'forum' for each genera, and the non-slippers are alltogehter in the non-slippers one!
Here one more link to show a mix of:greenhouse (cleaning), collections, and pics of different blooms :)! http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16901

For the phal it is more or less what I would have done!

And the nodosa looks very healthy; I have about 5 or 6 of them blooming at this moment, and I can not detect any fragrance, maybe a very very light one!
Jean

JeanLux

Thank you, Jean!

You should take the time to leaf through the different sections to view the contents of each, so you get an idea where to place your threads! Most orchid pics are shown in the section Photographs: the slippers having a separate 'forum' for each genera, and the non-slippers are alltogehter in the non-slippers one!
Here one more link to show a mix of:greenhouse (cleaning), collections, and pics of different blooms :)! http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16901

For the phal it is more or less what I would have done!

And the nodosa looks very healthy; I have about 5 or 6 of them blooming at this moment, and I can not detect any fragrance, maybe a very very light one!
Jean

Welcome from Ontario Canada, Vicki! Your greenhouse looks so nice and clean! There's LOTS of room for more plants; but, you're correct, no greenhouse is really big enough. That nodosa sure does have happy roots. Congrats!

If you're a gregarious person, perhaps if you contacted the clubs you're interested in attending, someone on the executive will know a member in your area that you can carpool with? You could split the cost of gas with them and you might must make a new orchid friend at the same time.

JeanLux

Jean, I forgot to tell you that most of my Catts are in Clay, except for the few in SH. You may have noticed this when you looked at my pics. I still have an overwatering challange that I must overcome.
Vicki

ther are different threads here that show our ghs / growing areas! ex. => http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004, and others!

You have some good sized phals in there!!!
Is the mounted brassavola nodosa or a hybrid?

I personnally killed a lot of my catts in plastic pots by overwatering them!!!!

Jean

John M

Thank you John...for welcoming me...and for your nice comments.

I love to watch roots grow, so I guess that's why I'm intrigued with my nodosa. Phal roots are fun, too. Catts and ........actually I like all roots! When I walked out to my greenhouse this morn., the first thing I did was start misting my mounts and soaking my Vandas. Is that normal?! :eek:

You have a good idea about me contacting some clubs...maybe I could, indeed, find someone to carpool with. As you said, I might make a new orchid friend at the same time. I would like that.....so I'll certainly check it out.
Thanks again,
Vicki

Welcome from Ontario Canada, Vicki! Your greenhouse looks so nice and clean! There's LOTS of room for more plants; but, you're correct, no greenhouse is really big enough. That nodosa sure does have happy roots. Congrats!

If you're a gregarious person, perhaps if you contacted the clubs you're interested in attending, someone on the executive will know a member in your area that you can carpool with? You could split the cost of gas with them and you might must make a new orchid friend at the same time.

NYEric

Hi Eric,
I have to work really hard not to grab water when I think I see a thirsty orchid. I'm slowly learning that many of them aren't thirsty at all. I may end up like you....not growing certain types of orchids for this reason, but thanks....I'm trying to be careful.
Vicki

Vicki, I'm a chonic over-waterer also. I stopped growing a lot of types of orchids because of this, be careful. :wink:

Back