Greenhouses in Manhattan?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have noticed there are a few NYers on the forum, and I have a question.

After years of having a partial footprint in the City, I am thinking of moving there full time next spring. I have not ever had difficulty getting clearance to set up a temporary greenhouse on patios/balconies here in Texas once I demonstrated structural stability and signed a letter that I would restore the balcony before moving out- but I imagine it might not be that easy to pull off in NYC.

Wondering if any of you have dealt with this before, or know of the hurdles involved. I am looking at places with either a private terrace or a fairly large balcony, but I am going to be renting at first until I decide whether to buy- and I am not sure if it is even worth thinking about doing this in a rental situation.

FWIW- on setup I had in mind something that could be used most of the year- but bring the plants into the "orchid bedroom" during the severe periods of winter since otherwise I would need a more permanent outdoor structure.

I know of people who have put up "cat cages"- covering their entire balcony with something like chicken wire. (8th ave near MSG) I'm sure the greenhouse would be nicer looking, there's got to be a building somewhere that would allow it. If not, what about some sort of large wardian case that won't affect the structure, perhaps even a modified cabinet or something?

Good luck!

You'll have to check with each building for regulations and policy, but I would think it is probably a good idea not to mention anything about setting up a greenhouse as the building board or leasing office will immediately imagine chemical spraying, bugs,,,,easy rejection case. Plus, for rental, I don't think they will allow any alterations of that kind in most cases.
If you are moving to the city for sure, then, it's best to get a broker and find out correct information regarding your wants.

There are plenty of penthouse units that come with terrace with "garden" of some sort. As long as money isn't your first limiting factor, options are quite large here. You could have orchids under the shade of trees or if the terrace is facing north, probably safer. Then, bring the plants inside during the winter months.

Then, there are apartments with half or entire top floor or sun deck type area with glass covering up the sides and tops and all, and this is probably closest to greenhouse.

Unless you have a huge collection, the easiest thing might be finding an apartment with all glass wall unit, or balcony with glass enclosure already set up so you don't have to worry about doing it.

I know people who have/had green house on the roof/patio. Are you renting or buying coop/condo? If renting, just ask if you can put some plants out. Protect the floors, (I'm working on fixing mine still :() and try not to grow mold/algae /moss on the walls.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should lay low for now and just keep them all indoors. If I make the move, it will be with about 1,000 seedlings just about to leave compot- mostly Paphs but also some bifoliate Cattleyas. So I can manage them indoors 100% I think (still nervous about lighting for those Catts when they get bigger- but that is a while off.)

A good drainage situation while in shelves would be great- may reach out to some of you privately on that who have noted it when the time comes.

More than anything I am trying to find ways to have "green" space around me as much as possible. I love the City, and I feel very much at home there- but I also love my wide open spaces here in Texas.

I know of one orchid artist who has a complete greenhouse
on the roof of his building in NYC. He's had it for some
years and it was featured in ORCHIDS some years ago.
I've forgotten the man's name.

Latest posts

Back