Greenhouse ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Doug

Well, I think I need a greenhouse. This will be for year round growing with gas heat. I'm looking at a 10x16 attached lean to, twin walled polycarbonate with either aluminum or redwood framing. Since I'm not exactly a DIY kind of guy, I'm looking at kits. Charlie's Greenhouse seems to have a good selection of quality products. Arcadia in Ohio also seems to have what I'm looking for and they are a lot closer. Has anyone bought kits from either of these companys? Any recomendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Doug

Two quick things to think about, a leanto that is actually used as a greenhouse (as opposed to a sunroom) has tremendous potential to damage your houes wall with constant humidity. And, try to go several times bigger than you think you need, not onlt because you will want the extra space before you can imagine, but larger spaces are more stable with regard to temperature and humidity.

Personally I feel one loses some potential bench space with a lean to. There's usually an extra door, the one that goes into the house & if it's a slider, at least 6-8 feet is lost.
Also a 10' width only gives you a wider aisle, bench usually are no more than 30 inches wide, unless you have a looong reach!

Many of Charlies greenhouse kits are made by B & C greenhouse which if you google can find their website. They're made in Canada. I happen to have one in the beginning stages-I'm starting the foundation. You can order them direct and save money, I believe. I've got the Premium one that I got from Craig's list for a great savings. Now to put it up!!!

My current g.h. was a kit from Conley. I absolutely love it. The two kits and manufacturers are very different. Conley focuses on quality and it's the strongest kit greenhouse on the market(that I've seen). Not cheap either. And you need to have a close relationship with a contractor to help you get it up. The directions are poorly written and leave much to the imagination. The B & C greenhouses have excellent directions, you can even order a video. The kit is extremely easy to assemble and doesn't take a professional. It's not nearly as sturdy, but is less expensive than the Conley. There are other kits on the market, but I would recommend you look into permits, county regulations etc. You'd be surprised to learn that there are only a handful of kit manufacturers that will supply stamped, engineered plans. Your county may not need that, but mine did and I had to stick with a kit that offered plans. You don't want to spend several thousand dollars on a kit and then find out your county will make you tear it down.

It's not B & C Greenhouses it's BC Greenhouses as in British Columbia........ (sorry I live in BC had to comment)

They are WONDERFUL greenhouses! VERY durable

I had Texas Greenhouse come up and put one up for me. You also needed a contractor to do the foundation and electric as well as heat. My town in N.Y. required plans and had to be able to hold a specific snow load. They provided all I needed. My greenhouse is attached to my house but is not a lean to. We just took a regular greenhouse without one wall. I love mine but it was indeed very expensive.

Yeah, BC that's right:> If you compared their kits to mine from Conley...well, they're not even in the same ball park. But, I love that I'm able to put it together myself and not spend the $3,000 it took for a construction crew to put my Conley together.

Latest posts

Back