Greenhouse whammy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray, gas for the generator ain't cheap either. 140.00 for approximately 24 hours of 60F! I get
your point exactly. I'm hoping that not too much damage is done to my lovely Phrags. and Phals.

Hoping for the best for the recovery of your collection. Sounds like it was pretty touch and go for a bit.

When I had a larger collection than I do now I had one bedroom dedicated to growing the orchids under lights. I used to dread the electric bill but compared to the cost of heating a greenhouse it was a bargain. Also had a lot more "sunshine" in the Winter than if I were growing in a greenhouse during a Michigan Winter.

Thank you Paphluvr. I probably won't know the damage for a few days, especially
the Phrags. and Phals. that are either blooming or in bud.

*supposed to be 8F Friday night. Unheardof in southeast KY.

Phrags will probably be fine... Phals can take it for longer than you think.

Definitely something to be said for growing in a heavily insulated, window free space. :) No regrets for me, winters kept me up at night in my old greenhouse. And $3000 a month for propane...

The good news is I'm a member of an electric co-op and our bills are quite low
compared to others I've heard about heating costs for greenhouses.

You're right Rob. I haven't seen any damage to the Phals. so far. Gotta get through
tonight at a predicted 9F. Are you kidding about $3000. a month????!!!! Oh, I forgot
you live in Michigan...way up yonder.

Back