Greenhouse maintenance is a real pain...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
Now that the weather is taking a turn toward Spring here in Cali I went to turn on my 300 series jaybird hydrofogger and left it chugging away. The next day, no fog and it's dead:< Yeah, 9 good years of service but close to $600 to get a new one...

Today, I was filling up my sprayer tank with R.O. water and the g.h. faucet exploded. Luckily, I happened to have an extra one from another R.O. unit. I just spent the last 30 mins. replacing it. Of course, I got soaking wet. I figured, o.k. this is it, what else could go wrong?? I turned on my main misting system and the drain release valve is malfunctioning and I can't use it until I drag out the ladder and figure out what's wrong. Now, I'm really mad and I turn on my seperate misters that water my mounted plants...NOTHING. No water and there's another problem. Probably the filter is clogged and I'll have to replace it.

I left the g.h. for the day since I figured anything I touch out there today is bound to need fixing. GRRRRR.

A new day is comming tomorrow and everything will be easier!!!!! Pluck up your courage!!!!!! :):):) However, what happend to you is very troublesome.... regardless the fact that I don't have a gh...!!!!!

Don't worry be Happy! The sun will come out tomorrow!! Are this all songs?

I don't have a greenhouse yet but soon will feel you pain.

Ramon:)

I went back out and replaced the filter on my wall mount misting system and got that working. Now it's just the overhead misters that need fixing. Oh, and the scale need spraying. I found it on a catt. yesterday. It's always something but I could use the $600 for something else, that's for sure!

Still, we made progress today. Sigh... This sort of stuff in life sure bogs us down doesn't it? I balanced today pretty well between cleaning, mental exercise, and forum/orchid work. Thank goodness I don't have a greenhouse. I'm not sure I'd still be here...

on to the morrow - more of the same working to balance the same things....
what keeps me sane also can drive me slightly insane.

Greenhouses strike me as one of those things that fall under the rewarding but not necessarily fun category. I’m almost in the sunroom(s) camp for that reason. (We shall see.) You grow some really wonderful plants in your conditions though, so I’m sure the irritation of all this will pass. Good luck.

Candace, just reading what Robin wrote - That's why I'm in the sunroom camp too, but at least you have the more promising weather. I look at people like Littlefrog Rob and the Fischers and Ackers and all the people in that area of our country, even upstate NY with Glen Decker and Ron and think they're a little crazy (sorry guys, love you but...)

I couldn't do it. I simply don't have the mental (or monetary) fortitude!

Just repotting a plant yesterday, and not being able to actually get out my door to dump the old mix out in the moss, I was cursing New England. Summer - bring it on!

I have no doubt that maintaining a greenhouse is a challenge. I suspect that I will ultimately build one, but I am going to enlarge my indoor light setup for now. It is not a decision to be taken lightly!

By the way, I have visited your site several times, and enjoy seeing your fine greenhouse.

Thanks, and thanks everybody for letting me vent:> I can't imagine what commercial growers with commercial size problems have to deal with. Obviously they have larger, more complex end expensive equipment with more parts that can and do break down. One grower in my area suffered some damage to his roof panels in the windy weather and was looking at thousands of dollars to fix it.

I spoke with Heather the other day and made a joke that when East coast vendors get their heating and gas bills they must just sit and stare at the envelope for a few hours before getting the courage to open it. So, I know I''m lucky in many areas. But, I can tell you even in this neck of the woods operating a greenhouse year round is NOT a poor man's hobby!

I spoke with Heather the other day and made a joke that when East coast vendors get their heating and gas bills they must just sit and stare at the envelope for a few hours before getting the courage to open it.

Not to mention the people in Wisconsin and Minnesota this year! Aiii!

It's true though, when I moved out on my own and set up my lights, the scariest part was figuring out what the electric bill was going to be. And heat suffered (and still does) because of it. I have different lights on now but I still compensate by doing everything from under the covers in the winter evenings. No point in turning the heat up if there's another way to get warm. Babies first! :)

What did she say "making babies under covers!?", What?!?!
Yeah Candace, sorry you ave the problems compound all at once. I feelthe same way, i had to do GH maintenance today too, the laundry, the dishes... :poke:

Latest posts

Back