Great Egret?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paphluvr

Reaction score
Help me out, birders. I think this is a great egret but the bill seems a bit short. It's been hanging out in the drainage ditch behind my condo the past couple of days. I know the ditch contains frogs and turtles, don't know about fish. I was able to get a couple of shots this morning but the lighting was flat.

Agree, Great egret. All black legs/feet and size are a give-away. They do like frogs and smaller turtles for sure.

I've seen the great egret and great blue herons hanging out at the same time in my pond in Mid Michigan. Took me a while to figure out what was going on...:)

Yup! Good shot and hanging out in a ditch ain't so much
fun in order to get such good pics.

I didn't have to hang out in the ditch. The picture was taken from my dining room. The ditch is about 40' from my back door. When I opened the door wall to my deck it exited the ditch on the far side. That's when I was able to get the shot.

We see a lot of great egrets and blue herons out of our windows, but then again, we live in a swamp.

Yes definitely a great egret. They eat anything that is of swallowing size. I have seen them catch and eat rodents in the field and gobble it alive.

Latest posts

Back