Grande “Chinaman”

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice blooms. Did it come with that clonal name? It’s more than just being PC or woke that in this day and age, when people have been hurt and killed because of racism - that it’s probably worth a bit of thoughtfulness in choosing clonal names that are not hurtful or harmful. Just imagine if it were another epithet for your ethnicity or religion…

Nice blooms. Did it come with that clonal name? It’s more than just being PC or woke that in this day and age, when people have been hurt and killed because of racism - that it’s probably worth a bit of thoughtfulness in choosing clonal names that are not hurtful or harmful. Just imagine if it were another epithet for your ethnicity or religion…
Have to agree with you. We don’t say this word anymore so why is it an orchid’s name? There’s an orchid called “Little Black Sambo” that’s still grown and exhibited under that name. I’ve seen a lot of evidence of racism in AOS.

It is certainly a grand plant and flowers!!! I‘m growing the cymbidium and dont use its name. I just call the plant Sammy! But thenIdont grow plants for show and awards! If I did, Iguess Ijust wouldn’t show it, no matter how grand it’s display was!

Yes as far as I am aware this is the registered name, was the name on the label and the name still commonly used here in Australia….apologies if posting its name caused any offence.

Thank you to those who have left comments.

Yes as far as I am aware this is the registered name, was the name on the label and the name still commonly used here in Australia….apologies if posting its name caused any offence.

Thank you to those who have left comments.

Definitely not blaming you at all. Orchid nomenclature is founded on colonization and rape culture. I doubt anyone who named these plants had any malicious racist intent but were simply products of their time, like my Aunt who loved everyone but still used “colored.” But when WE know better — when AOS and Kew know better — why are we not correcting the matter? It would be a simple matter to change the relatively few problematic names.

And no, I don’t care who’s rolling their eyes at my comments. Just because it doesn’t bother you doesn’t mean it’s not hurtful to someone. Correcting the problem doesn’t harm you, either. At the same time, I’m not blaming anyone here for the issue of these names.

Latest posts

Back