Grammatically Correct?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Matt,

That does make sense. Assuming that you are correct; you've just shattered my understanding of how the world works right down to the core! Ah, well. A kick in the a$$ now and then, can't hurt.

Kentuckiense,

I'm still not going to go for "Ladies' Slipper", "Ladie's Slipper", "Ladies Slipper", "Lady Slipper", or "Ladyslipper". However, with regard to Lady's Slipper vs. Ladys' Slipper, I think that I now stand corrected. :)

G

gore42

Not that I know of, but I really think that this is an issue of meaning rather than grammar both Lady's Slipper and Lady Slipper are gramatically correct; they just have slightly different meanings.

In the case of "Lady Slipper", "Lady" is just a descriptor, specifying what kind of a slipper it is... just like a "baby tooth" is a type of tooth that babies or children might have.

In the case of "Lady's Slipper", "Lady's" indicates posession; that is, that the slipper belongs (or could belong) to a lady.

I suspect that there is some sort of historical precident that would set us straight. Aside from a desire to be in accord with historical useage, I don't think it matters which way you go.

- Matt

gonewild

Grower
Reaction score
Heather said:
:confused:

Have we decided anything yet?

If the question is still about what is correct to use in the site description then you need to consider what the description is for. If you want people to find Slippertalk then you should use every version mentioned in this thread in your meta tags. Put all the incorrect possibilities in as key words and when someone searches for the "wrong" version they will find Slippertalk. If you don't want anyone to find Slippertalk unless they have perfect grammar then only use the one correct version.